Uncommon topic for this place

KrAzY

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Great idea.. I know the kid and I know for a fact he will never win.. 🤣

Win-win solution, then. They feel agency because they invested in the bike and inspired that someone believes in them. You feel cash and some free space in the garage and a sense of philanthropy. 

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Win-win solution, then. They feel agency because they invested in the bike and inspired that someone believes in them. You feel cash and some free space in the garage and a sense of philanthropy. 

I also get a new toy out of it... but we won’t go there today. Also my wife said if I can sell off two more, I can build my 11 speed cyclocross bike.... I have had the frame in storage for 6 years now.. 😂

• Awesome 1

39 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So I was asked at work by a co-worker about how her kid was wanting to get into a triathlon.. our kids were in jujitsu together and she knew I rode. She then asked if I knew of anywhere that had a cheaper bike to get him started in training. 
I said sure.. come on over, I have three I’m not using, pick one out and I’ll sell it to you cheep if he is interested, but for not you can borrow it. 
They came over the other night and I lowered the seat to the smallest setting, made sire it was a good fit for peddling, popped off the bar stem and replaced with a shorter one for his reach, and he took it for a spin around the block. 
Within about 20 min they loaded it up in their truck and took it home. they sent pics of the bike to his coach and quickly gave me a call. I guess the coach was excited to see that he had a bike, and said it was a better one then the other kids that were in the training class. 
Well I would hope so.. it’s a trek redline with a bunch of upgrades... 

Yesterday I got a text asking what I want to sell it to them for.. I haven’t used it in 5 years, not really sure what I paid for it or the upgrades, but then again it is getting a kid out and exercise... I’m think $250 but I know it could go for a lot more.. but it’s for a good cause.. 

You and I know a $250 price is a tremendous gift. I spent $800+ last month on a near-entry-level decent Trek bike.  But talk to some people who don't know about bikes and they think $250 is an enormous price - they see the cheap, easy-to-fall-apart and hard-to-keep-adjusted junk they sell at Walmart like the one below and, with two shifters, etc. it looks like a technological marvel to them.  So I would gently work into the conversation the fact that the kid's getting a solid bike for a much less than is usually required for such a bike.

image.thumb.png.5d9b9e8a003d3d6dd87b57d9b6a96b5d.png

• Heart 3

10 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

What part of I don’t like they kid don’t you understand?

This part, maybe? 

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I’m think $250 but I know it could go for a lot more.. but it’s for a good cause.. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Irrelevant.  You'll feel marvelous helping by giving it away.

The kid and parents will value the bike more if they have skin in the game. A free bike is appreciated initially, but potentially may not be valued as much because it was just given away. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

The kid and parents will value the bike more if they have skin in the game. A free bike is appreciated initially, but potentially may not be valued as much because it was just given away. 

I saw him ride a bit, he will lose a lot of skin in this game.. kid is very uncoordinated

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I saw him ride a bit, he will lose a lot of skin in this game.. kid is very uncoordinated

Is he worth coaching a bit? How old are we talking ? My kids all went through a gangly, uncoordinated stage before becoming more graceful and/or athletic. 

33 minutes ago, groupw said:

This with coaching. 

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, groupw said:

Is he worth coaching a bit? How old are we talking ? My kids all went through a gangly, uncoordinated stage before becoming more graceful and/or athletic. 

He is being coached by someone that they are paying.. I told his mom I would coach riding a bit to teach good technique, but running and swimming is not my gig. 
also I said I would teach them bike repair and maintenance.

he is in the 5th grade right now. About 4’11 and maybe pushing 100 lbs

• Heart 2