Concussion #4

ChrisL

Went about 47 years without getting one and about 8 years ago got a really bad concussion smacking the back of my head playing softball.  That one laid me out a couple of weeks.  I got another one a few years later when I got rear ended and smacked the back of my head on the headrest. Got a 3rd when a wooden chair that was hanging in the garage decided to fall & hit the back of my head. (I swear some bad karma was involved in that one....)

So yesterday we are looking at bathroom mirrors at Lowe’s and my wife is looking at one that’s on display.  She says is it big enough? What if I need room and swings her arms up & out accidentally smacking the back of my head with her wrist & I think her watch got me too.

Sumbitch a few minutes later the PA system is like daggers in my ears. Oh shit I know this feeling.... Go to the car & the light is blinding... Damn concussion #4...

Pretty much slept the rest of the day, all night and most of today.  Trying to avoid screen time as much as possible.  I feel good for stretches of time and then need to shut it down.  

I have gone in after # 1 & 2 and pretty much know the deal.  Probably need to go get checked out tho as it really wasn’t a hard shot at all but it was in the exact same place as the last 3.

• Sad 9
  • Hugs 4

Good friend & previous neighbors girl is now about 24 years old. She got several concussions playing soccer in HS. At least 3 & maybe as many as 5 (I forget). Her job is virtual for the last year & her headaches are getting bad. She took 2 weeks off last month to try to heal. No screen time. Helped a "little". It's amazing how long lasting this stuff is. I bet if she went back into the office that would help her

• Sad 1

Be careful and don't put yourself in tricky situations if the symptoms kick-back in.

I had one at age 11, hit by a truck, but was mostly unconscious for 3 days of which I have no memory.

I think I had another playing 1st base for a softball team - I had the same bright-light sensation and a headache.  The bag wasn't tied down and I had to simultaneously reach a foot for the bag I forgot wasn't tied down and my glove for the thrown-by-shortstop ball in a close play and the bag and my leg slid away, dropping me down enough that the ball slammed into my temple. I this was a standard softball, not one of those big, fat, soft ones they use in Chicago, etc. I felt a little unbalanced and was benched.

The coach told me I needed to get right back on the horse and put me back at 1st base the next inning but the all-dirt infield looked brighter than it should have, the sky was bright, too, a headache developed, and I struggled to get through the game - but did NOT forget again the bag wasn't tied down: I took the throws after ground balls were hit and then stepped on the bag.

It took me a couple days to feel ok.

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Went about 47 years without getting one and about 8 years ago got a really bad concussion smacking the back of my head playing softball.  That one laid me out a couple of weeks.  I got another one a few years later when I got rear ended and smacked the back of my head on the headrest. Got a 3rd when a wooden chair that was hanging in the garage decided to fall & hit the back of my head. (I swear some bad karma was involved in that one....)

So yesterday we are looking at bathroom mirrors at Lowe’s and my wife is looking at one that’s on display.  She says is it big enough? What if I need room and swings her arms up & out accidentally smacking the back of my head with her wrist & I think her watch got me too.

Sumbitch a few minutes later the PA system is like daggers in my ears. Oh shit I know this feeling.... Go to the car & the light is blinding... Damn concussion #4...

Pretty much slept the rest of the day, all night and most of today.  Trying to avoid screen time as much as possible.  I feel good for stretches of time and then need to shut it down.  

I have gone in after # 1 & 2 and pretty much know the deal.  Probably need to go get checked out tho as it really wasn’t a hard shot at all but it was in the exact same place as the last 3.

Sorry to hear.  That is pretty damn scary, but also it is good you are paying attention and not ignoring it. 

I have never been diagnosed or treated with a concussion, but I've had my bell rung a few times and would not be surprised if I was concussed or not.  Hopefully, taking it easy works and you're progressively feeling less impact, but damn, STOP getting hit in the head :frantics: