I need a mattress

Dirtyhip
Go to solution Solved by Allen,

If I was doing it all over again, I would go and build a DIY mattress and save some money.  

https://latexmattressfactory.com/pages/diy-mattress-how-to-guide

I would get the quantum edge wrapped coil with a 3" Dunlop latex layer and quilted wool cover and call it good.  If anything every happens to the coils or the latex wears out or you spill bodily fluids or gravy on the cover, all are replaceable because the cover has a full length zipper.  You aren't wasting a whole mattress if one component fails, so you are greener this way, and you save a crap ton of money and get premium mattress.  Super easy is how it looks.

If you don't want to do that, you can get much the same thing here: https://www.mattresses.net/ulhypoco.html

I learned a lot going to the Reddit mattress area:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Mattress/

• Heart 2

We've been on a sleep number bed for years and we'll never go back. We did add a 3" memory foam topper to it, but the key for us has been the adjustability. That's also been nice to be able to adjust as my weight as fluctuated. I can also compensate for the added Dog weight.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

We've been on a sleep number bed for years and we'll never go back. We did add a 3" memory foam topper to it, but the key for us has been the adjustability. That's also been nice to be able to adjust as my weight as fluctuated. I can also compensate for the added Dog weight.

We don't have a topper.  We need a new bed anyway, cause we plan to have one in the guest room.

I guess all you people get to sleep on the sleep number bed, and I will get a new Kind Saatva.  Slightly terrified to try to build my own @Randomguy.  I will talk to my husband about it.

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Slightly terrified to try to build my own @Randomguy.  I will talk to my husband about it.

Like I said, I read a bunch on the mattress reddit, plus educated myself a bunch.  I had already ordered something, but confirmed a lot and learned what is necessary, optimal, and what is nonsense marketing.

Anyway, a mattress is FAR less complicated than a singlespeed bike, for instance, really just a few crucial pieces.  

If you want, call me with K and I will tell you what I know and why something makes sense or doesn't make sense.  You could get a great mattress the equal of the Saatva (or better) and save a bunch of hundreds towards soap making supplies and such.  I know how you like getting a deal, too!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Like I said, I read a bunch on the mattress reddit, plus educated myself a bunch.  I had already ordered something, but confirmed a lot and learned what is necessary, optimal, and what is nonsense marketing.

Anyway, a mattress is FAR less complicated than a singlespeed bike, for instance, really just a few crucial pieces.  If you want, call me with K and I will tell you what I know and why something makes sense or doesn't make sense.  You could get a great mattress the equal of the Saatva or better and save a bunch of hundreds towards soap making supplies and such.  I know how you like getting a deal, too!

I am looking at this.  Slightly leery of hassles.  I have a metric ton worth of hassles right now.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Anyway, a mattress is FAR less complicated than a singlespeed bike, for instance, really just a few crucial pieces.  If you want, call me with K and I will tell you what I know and why something makes sense or doesn't make sense.  You could get a great mattress the equal of the Saatva or better and save a bunch of hundreds towards soap making supplies and such.  I know how you like getting a deal, too!

and my spouse just replied to me saying "If you want it, buy it." LOL

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

All I can tell you is how the inner springs are made and heat treated. What springs will hold up over time but only the ones were made in our plant. I can't speak for made by Leggett.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, BR46 said:

All I can tell you is how the inner springs are made and heat treated. What springs will hold up over time but only the ones were made in our plant. I can't speak for made by Leggett.

Well you could make the springs and random guy can make the rest. What could go wrong? :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I need a mattress

It was amazing about ALL the stuff we needed/wanted to buy for our new home back in 2018.   Yeah... we needed a new mattress.  And we purchased new furniture fir the master bedroom too.    

Mattresses are difficult to buy.   We all sleep soooo differently for comfort, etc..  

One of our spare bedrooms, we purchased a new mattress for the bed about 6 months ago.  Our grandson (will be 30 this year) sleeps in that room when he visits.  He told me Purple makes a good matters.  That was our first mattress in a box.  He likes it...   

16 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

It was amazing about ALL the stuff we needed/wanted to buy for our new home back in 2018.   Yeah... we needed a new mattress.  And we purchased new furniture fir the master bedroom too.    

Mattresses are difficult to buy.   We all sleep soooo differently for comfort, etc..  

One of our spare bedrooms, we purchased a new mattress for the bed about 6 months ago.  Our grandson (will be 30 this year) sleeps in that room when he visits.  He told me Purple makes a good matters.  That was our first mattress in a box.  He likes it...   

We don't need much.  We already have furniture that fits the home.  We are upgrading to a King, so we need a king bed frame.  

Visitors can sleep on this Queen sleep number bed.  It's only about a year old.

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 2:49 PM, Randomguy said:

If I was doing it all over again, I would go and build a DIY mattress and save some money.  

https://latexmattressfactory.com/pages/diy-mattress-how-to-guide

I would get the quantum edge wrapped coil with a 3" Dunlop latex layer and quilted wool cover and call it good.  If anything every happens to the coils or the latex wears out or you spill bodily fluids or gravy on the cover, all are replaceable because the cover has a full length zipper.  You aren't wasting a whole mattress if one component fails, so you are greener this way, and you save a crap ton of money and get premium mattress.  Super easy is how it looks.

If you don't want to do that, you can get much the same thing here: https://www.mattresses.net/ulhypoco.html

I learned a lot going to the Reddit mattress area:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Mattress/

I am going to try and order this today through the latex mattressfactory people.  I am going to call them and have them walk me thorugh the process.  Thanks, RG.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, Square Wheels said:

Tempur-Pedic® 

My friend got one last year and swears by it.  Says it's one of the best purchases she's made.  I'll investigate those when I get a new one.

55 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My friend got one last year and swears by it.  Says it's one of the best purchases she's made.  I'll investigate those when I get a new one.

I got one 9 years ago and not holding up. Side gives way and feel pressure to roll off. While I replaced a Stearns and Foster under warranty with the 1" dip when pulling a line across the top, thought Tempurpedic was really optimistic about their product, setting the warranty dip to a mere 3/8". After living with it, reality is, it is memory foam and is designed to spring back to it's original/cover contained position. What I think has happened is that the supportive density of the foam has diminished.

Now back in the market. After spending over $3500 nine years ago, really hesitant to repeat. The way I look at it, even if I got a premium bed-in-box, such as the Original Casper, king for less than $1000 ($799 at Costco) or any of the competing with their 100 day trials, even if replacing every 3 years it would still be cheaper than a Tempurpedic, Sleep Number. or any of the other brand name mattresses. Have the adjustable king base, so that is taken care of. Only problem is, wife is toying with the idea of two twin XL which raises the cost (and availability - not at Costco, or a size offered in other brands) a little. 

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

:facepalm:

I'm a inner spring guy 

That is where hybrids come into play as they have a pocketed coil layer. With the two twin XL situation, thought about order a foam and a hybrid as could always return one during the 100 day trial. The only issue is getting two where same height. One would not want a 10" foam and 12" hybrid pairing.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How was the whole process?  Did you order from APM?  When will it arrive?

I am so excited for you!

I called them ad had them walk me through the process over the phone, and then I paid with my cc. 

We get it next week.  Unbelievable.  I said to him..."NO WAY!"  He said "Yup, we are the manufacturer and do not need to rely on anyone else to make this for you.

My side is softer, while I got a firmer side for my husband.

Shit, it took us long enough to get this on the way.  Am I @petitepedal :dontknow:  

:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I’ll second that.  We recently got one and for the first time in years both of us love the mattress.  We got one about 10 years ago that was too firm for me. We replaced it about 5 years ago with a non temper pedic memory foam that I liked but was too soft for my wife. 

We got the mid firmness one, the sales guy called it the Goldilocks bed and he was right.  It was spendy but we got a bunch of “free” bedroom furniture by purchasing the mattress.

• 2 years later...
  • Solution
On 5/3/2021 at 8:25 PM, BR46 said:

I can hear Leggett making springs right now. 

I called the cops on them on the 4th of July.  The plant was closed but the dock phone was ringing for hours (the ringer can be heard from over a half a mile). 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Its good.  Wearing heavily.  I think I want a firmer pice on my side.  

We still like it.  

I love my van mattress. 

What is wearing?   I was told that most top latex layers will have to be replaced every few years of daily use.   It is nice you can do that without throwing the whole thing away. 

What mattress do you have for the van?

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Triggeredguy said:

What is wearing?   I was told that most top latex layers will have to be replaced every few years of daily use.   It is nice you can do that without throwing the whole thing away. 

What mattress do you have for the van?

We have a very thick and very firm foam mattress.  

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We have a very thick and very firm foam mattress.  

I am thinking of shitcanning my thermarest camping pad and finding something else to put in a tent when camping (car camping, eventually).  I want something big enough for two people and a more bed-like sleep when in the woods.

Do you know anything like that (your particular van mattress, for instance)?  Non-inflatable only, inflatable beds only make sense in infomercials and in fairyland.

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am thinking of shitcanning my thermarest camping pad and finding something else to put in a tent when camping (car camping, eventually).  I want something big enough for two people and a more bed-like sleep when in the woods.

Do you know anything like that (your particular van mattress, for instance)?  Non-inflatable only, inflatable beds only make sense in infomercials and in fairyland.

Watching folks car camp is pretty interesting these days.  A few weeks ago, I watched a couple pull out a foam 3" queen (maybe even king) sized mattress pad/topper.  That would likely be super comfy laid on the tent floor, it would be waterproof (I think), and not lose air like an inflatable Coleman-type mattress.  Not nearly as compressible once unwrapped, but maybe workable as a home & camping mattress topper?

stylewell-mattress-toppers-thd-mfvt-4t-6

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Watching folks car camp is pretty interesting these days.  A few weeks ago, I watched a couple pull out a foam 3" queen (maybe even king) sized mattress pad/topper.  That would likely be super comfy laid on the tent floor, it would be waterproof (I think), and not lose air like an inflatable Coleman-type mattress.  Not nearly as compressible once unwrapped, but maybe workable as a home & camping mattress topper?

I have been thinking about that for quite a while.  My Thermarest Dreamtime has the biggest thermarest pad they have, plus an eighth-inch memory foam layer and and cover to keep it all together.  The cover and very modest memory foam layer make it much more comfortable than the same exact thermarest pad without.

I thought at one time about going to costco and just buying a topper, but since I am in NYC, it is hard to get away to go camping at all.  I am not too worried about waterproofing, my tents are solid that way and I wouldn't camp in the rain at this point, why bother, right?  Also, my mattress is zippable and parts can be replaced as needed.  As it is three years old and I have a 3"latex layer on top, I could probably just hang onto the current one for camping if I replace it on the bed.

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My new backpacking one will be the Big Agnes.  It is an inflatable but more plush than a 3/4 length thermarest. I might try my old 3/4 length with an open cell roll out style.  I will see if I can save a little money.  I am also considering just packing with my old whisperlite instead of converting to the canister style gas.  More weight is just more training, right?

https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/boundary-deluxe-insulated

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

My new backpacking one will be the Big Agnes.  It is an inflatable but more plush than a 3/4 length thermarest. I might try my old 3/4 length with an open cell roll out style.  I will see if I can save a little money.  I am also considering just packing with my old whisperlite instead of converting to the canister style gas.  More weight is just more training, right?

https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/boundary-deluxe-insulated

I was never wild about the newer generations of inflatables, they seem so....inflatable only, without the foaminess of the thermarests, generally.  The costs are outrageous now, too.  The big angus might be different from what I remember.

I will say that my dreamtime is an XL, though, I will never use a 3/4 length, those always seemed a dumb compromise to me.

Do you remember the name/model of your van mattress?  I want to check those out for the future and compare.

• Heart 1