How do you heal freezer burn??

smudge

I had bad bursitis of my messed up knee two weeks ago. It was feeling better the next week,so I went for a walk  it started hurting, so I slapped the blue icepack on it again. Problem is, I pressed my luck and lost. I put the ice pack on my skin. I figured I'd take it off once I couldn't take the cold any longer. Since it's my surgery knee, the skin doesn't have full feeling. Gave myself freezer burn 

IMG_20210429_084643109.thumb.jpg.afe7eaf5664c77840f12a2a6f5b9082e.jpg

Later that day it was swollen but looking better 

IMG_20210429_133147947.thumb.jpg.fced747119ed5785588d96371079bccf.jpg

It's healing slowly. I've been putting different lotions on it in hopes of giving it a variety of healing agents. ??

Any ideas of good lotions or something? Ya, I know.... don't do dumb stuff 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

You want to have a damp washcloth between your skin and the ice pack. If your skin doesn't seem to be getting cold fast, make the washcloth a little wetter.

In Maryland, a non-emergency high school sports coach has to be up to date in American Heart Assn. CPR, take and then refresh Red Cross Standard First Aid, and take then refresh a college-level course in Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries.

Here's what I learned - and applied with success - from that last course:

When you're exercising a damaged muscle/tendon by walking, etc., lactic acid (often the source of muscle pain) and some chemicals from damaged muscle cells build up in your capillaries.  The standard sports procedure is to alternate 15 minutes of ice pack followed by 15 minutes of no ice for usually 3 periods of ice.  That gets the cold capillaries to squeeze some of the bad stuff out of them, then they regain their normal size and absorb more bad stuff from the cells, then squeeze it out, then absorb, then squeeze, pumping out the bad stuff.

The bad stuff goes into your main blood stream where your kidneys and bile from the liver cleanse it.

I've seen people with a bad Achilles tendon stick the foot in ice water and let it get awful cold for 15 minutes and turn blue, then do the 15 minutes off, on, off, on, off and that's been claimed to work well but I think 15 minutes of ice water is way too extreme to be safe.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I treat my burns with Correct X ,it's an essential oil and ointment kind of thing.  It works really well.

You can also use neosporin if you don't have correct x. Put ointment on it.

I have Neosporin. I may try that. I'll look into the Correct X. 

Just now, smudge said:

I have Neosporin. I may try that. I'll look into the Correct X. 

If you know a DoTerra rep...

I have a new tube, but it would take forever to get to you.  I love the stuff. It heals my schralp scars so nicely.  It's quite amazing.

• Hugs 1

I am going to suggest a KT ice pack. They are expensive but..very nicely made..I got one for my shoulder a couple years ago..way better than the 2 plain large ice packs and 1 sleeve to wrap it..I got during my surgery. I am guessing I was billed the same price or more for the surgery ones.

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

That is not freezer burn, that is frostbite.  

Look up treatments for frostbite and do what it says

Ya, I know. I was just hoping someone had an idea to help the skin heal. I think it's actually frost nip; it never got black... thank God.

4 hours ago, smudge said:

Ya, I know. I was just hoping someone had an idea to help the skin heal. I think it's actually frost nip; it never got black... thank God.

It is bite, not nip.   I have seen enough of each to know.  Nip is not that severe.  When it is white and waxy like that, that is bite.

The fact it went to red after is good, black is bad.  Very bad.  

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

It is bite, not nip.   I have seen enough of each to know.  Nip is not that severe.  When it is white and waxy like that, that is bite.

The fact it went to red after is good, black is bad.  Very bad.  

Black means tissue death and amputation of that dead tissue.  

• Heart 1