Well,that is expensive.

Digital_photog

Saturday started to hear a grinding sound from the right front wheel on my truck.  Went in today to have it checked out. Right front hub was very bad. New hubs, rotors,calipers, pads and labor cost as much as I paid for a new truck in January 1973. 

I could have bought a mid range bike for what this costs (if I could find one)

• Heart 1
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

New hubs, rotors,calipers, pads and labor cost as much as I paid for a new truck in January 1973. 

I could have bought a mid range bike for what this costs (if I could find one)

Interesting comparison, I prefer to calculate the cost over the years of ownership, and normally this doesn't look too bad, particularly considering the cost of a new truck at today's prices.

• Heart 4

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Interesting comparison, I prefer to calculate the cost over the years of ownership, and normally this doesn't look too bad, particularly considering the cost of a new truck at today's prices.

well,  $2300 is cheaper than a new Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel.  This was the first major repair in 110,000 miles.

2 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You write the $60000 check and I will provide you a new truck thread with pictures.

@donkpow handles the check cutting.  I'm more the idea guy and decision maker.  Go ahead and start looking, and rest assured Don will take care of you.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

@donkpow handles the check cutting.  I'm more the idea guy and decision maker.  Go ahead and start looking, and rest assured Don will take care of you.

Right. As soon as my crypto matures I'll be spending money like the government. I'll buy everybody a new truck.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

I was smart. I married a mechanic. 👍❤️

Lucky is more like it :D :happyanim:

But, yeah, a mechanic in the family or friend circle is great!  Years and years ago, my sister dated a mechanic.  A great guy (not for her), and to this day, he is my #1 choice for any and all real repairs on my cars.  He is honest, hard working, and experienced.  I can do a lot of work myself, but I can also screw up a lot of work myself.  :whistle:  I'd rather pay him cash to do things right the first time.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I would have thought you would have made that repair yourself. Parts markup and labor were probably 2/3 the bill.

And one of the easiest repairs to do.  Plus there's a good chance the calipers didn't need replacing.  Maybe most of it, the grinding is the hub, not the brakes.

Or just buy a new truck for the price of a hub replacement in 2071.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Lucky is more like it :D :happyanim:

But, yeah, a mechanic in the family or friend circle is great!  Years and years ago, my sister dated a mechanic.  A great guy (not for her), and to this day, he is my #1 choice for any and all real repairs on my cars.  He is honest, hard working, and experienced.  I can do a lot of work myself, but I can also screw up a lot of work myself.  :whistle:  I'd rather pay him cash to do things right the first time.

Lucky my ass.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2