What aspect of the Kentucky Derby or horse racing would you care to discuss today?

AirwickWithCheese
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

You can go visit Mine the Bird, a long shot winner from 2009, is living a nice retired life in New Mexico.  You can feed him peppermints when you visit. :nodhead:

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/509565361.html

Please find me a former winner in South Carolina?  Budgetary concerns and whatnot.  

17 minutes ago, Kirby said:

You can go visit Mine the Bird, a long shot winner from 2009, is living a nice retired life in New Mexico.  You can feed him peppermints when you visit. :nodhead:

https://www.kimt.com/content/news/509565361.html

You know Miss Kirby, you earned that. This was an excellent suggestion. Thank you. :nodhead:

https://youtu.be/uJNFc6d7TU8

• Hugs 1

A few years ago horses were being put down at a high rate at Santa Anita and other SoCal tracks due to horse injuries.

I don’t follow the sport at all so was wondering if horse racing has a high injury/mortality rate in general or if our local media just latched on to the story & made a big deal about nothing or maybe it was a higher than usual thing & was a real problem.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

A few years ago horses were being put down at a high rate at Santa Anita and other SoCal tracks due to horse injuries.

I don’t follow the sport at all so was wondering if horse racing has a high injury/mortality rate in general or if our local media just latched on to the story & made a big deal about nothing or maybe it was a higher than usual thing & was a real problem.

It's always been an issue especially for thoroughbreds. They are bred to do one thing well: go fast. Then you add in the doping factor which make them go even faster on the same bone structure. I stopped going to the races after seeing too many horses put down. I believe that greyhound racing had similar issues with injuries.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Favorite foods for the Derby?

A couple of years ago we went to Del Mar for my daughters Bday.  We had nice seats and ate/drank well.  I don’t remember what we got but it was good.  At first I just watched the races, but then started putting a few bucks down and it really became fun.

I had no clue on betting odd & such, I just picked at random or by the horses name and actually did alright. I think I was up a few bucks by the end of the day.   

It was a really fun day.