Are my wheels out of true? [Bike related]

goldendesign

Put the new tube in today, cleaned everything and checked over the bike. It was a fairly narly pot hole. Now I'm noticing a wobble in the wheel when looking at the brake pad gap.

Is this an indication of wheel true? The wobble seems fairly consistent on both front and back wheel.

I also just do a quick check of spoke tension.  You may have a few that have loosened up over time and just lubing the nipples :D and putting some tension back on them helps.  There is a more in-depth process for doing it, but it is surprising how just one loose spoke throws a wobble into a wheel.  The back looks like more issues as it seems to go in and out in more places.

Another challenge, though, is that you just screwed with the one wheel when you swapped the tube and remounted the tire.  An non-optimal tube and tire mounting could cause some issues.  Gotta know if it is the tube/tire or the wheel that is actually wacky.

• Heart 1

Yeah it’s a bit out of true.  A good mechanic should be able to true it up.  The grinding may be wheel bearings. About 2X a year I remove the wheels & shock for side to side play in the hubs and then give them a spin holding on to either side of the hub.  You can feel any binding or grinding in the bearings. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I also just do a quick check of spoke tension.  You may have a few that have loosened up over time and just lubing the nipples :D and putting some tension back on them helps.

Checked the spokes all seem tight, brought my depth caliper out and attached to the frame. Both have just under a millimeter wobble. 

Called my LBS thats done some work for me before they quoted me $20 a wheel and an afternoon. Seems fair, I'll drop it by tomorrow. 

• Heart 1