What do they teach them!

Tizeye

Making a 3 day trip (rather than two) to visit son.  Yesterday on trip to overnight at Rocky Mount, NC, pulled into a McDonalds for 2 coffees. How badly can you mess it up! First always prefer counter ordering over muffled voice drive through so went in - counters not staffed, use electronic kiosk. Despite my computer knowledge, after three attempts (no quantity who input so required to input individually, but wouldn't recognize). Gave up and went to drive through. How hard is 2 senior coffees, both with cream, one with 1 sugar the other with equal. None was on the side and hate it when they do it for me. After repeating order 3 times where finally understood, got 2 coffees with coffee flavored cream, mine was unsweet and the the other was syrup. Ended up drinking a little for space and mixing back and forth several times. Still very sweet.

Paneras later yesterday was an issue in a and of itself.

On to Harpers Ferry today.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

Sorry about your coffee issues. I hate ordering drive through also; they always find a way to mess up the order. Panera has better coffee than McDonalds anyway. Go there instead. Toot yer horn on the way to Harper’s Ferry. Visit Shepherdstown and the Antietam battlefield while you’re there. Lost Dog coffee in Shepherdstown is a must. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Obviously increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour would fix this problem. Not!

$20?  $30?  There has to be a point where a wage attracts qualified workers?  Or is it even worse where places don't think the customers are smart enough or valuable enough to get the service they pay for? Or that the price point is so low that what they are paying for is what they're getting (random service and all)? 

Somewhere like Chick-fil-a has figured it out.  Out in CA, my favorite Taco Tuesday spot - Rubios - has figured it out.  I don't know if it is training or wages or recruiting or management or menu pricing or the whole combination (likely that), but some fast food places "get" it, and others seem to usually miss the mark.

Many drive-thrus do seem to be much better these days - clearer sound and the digital display showing an order - so maybe things are also getting better while they get worse?

13 minutes ago, 2Far said:

At one of the local Fourbucks, the order is never right, despite what is on the digital display and printed on the side of the FREAKIN' cup. Never.

Around the corner (<4 miles) at another one, never any issues. Never.

1 Friends Don't Let Friends Drink Starbucks | Etsy

I suspect that for some establishments an environment and culture is so well trained that the employees "get it".  In others, nobody in management cares if the slack jawed gum chewing part time help gets your order right or not.  There are 20 more cars in line so you have to be a jerk quickly.

We take too much of this for granted because of convenience or price.

I shop at a grocery store that is slightly more expensive than the one closer to home because it is new and the management has trained the staff well in good customer service, complete with smiles and extra help.  Coincidently, much of the training staff recruited from other stores in the chain stayed on to work full time from this one.

59 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I cannot stand their coffee, but love a Venti Breve Latte. 

I'm a fan of the various Fraps! Especially in the summer when they used to do half priced or BOGO ones on Friday.  But I judge coffee by whether I can drink it without sugar and then without 1/2 & 1/2.  Starbucks is a coffee that require copious amounts of both!  It will do in a pinch for me - had it many many times - but never the first choice if there are other options - especially local ones. 

8 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Making a 3 day trip (rather than two) to visit son.  Yesterday on trip to overnight at Rocky Mount, NC, pulled into a McDonalds for 2 coffees. How badly can you mess it up! First always prefer counter ordering over muffled voice drive through so went in - counters not staffed, use electronic kiosk. Despite my computer knowledge, after three attempts (no quantity who input so required to input individually, but wouldn't recognize). Gave up and went to drive through. How hard is 2 senior coffees, both with cream, one with 1 sugar the other with equal. None was on the side and hate it when they do it for me. After repeating order 3 times where finally understood, got 2 coffees with coffee flavored cream, mine was unsweet and the the other was syrup. Ended up drinking a little for space and mixing back and forth several times. Still very sweet.

Paneras later yesterday was an issue in a and of itself.

On to Harpers Ferry today.

In one of the Harper's Ferry rebuilt-stores is a real-live woman playing the role of a captured southern spy.  You can ask her all about her times and trials.  Ask her how she makes coffee.