Hey RE, please answer these questions about your current situation

Randomguy

• What bike are you riding when you are riding a bike?  We are made to understand that you are un-tarmac'ed, have you borrowed Dottie's electric bike for your riding endeavors?
  • Are you considering giving the swamp of the east coast up for the traffic and earthquake prone rat's den of SD's northern suburbs?
  • If you are going back, when are you going?
  • Have you become an effete wine-drinker who wears a thin scarf in warm weather?

So many questions!

33 minutes ago, Randomguy said:
  • What bike are you riding when you are riding a bike?  We are made to understand that you are un-tarmac'ed, have you borrowed Dottie's electric bike for your riding endeavors?
  • Are you considering giving the swamp of the east coast up for the traffic and earthquake prone rat's den of SD's northern suburbs?
  • If you are going back, when are you going?
  • Have you become an effete wine-drinker who wears a thin scarf in warm weather?

So many questions!

The Tarmac.  We brought my road bike and my wife's hybrid. No MTB nor the gravel bike :( Both would also be put to great use had I brought them.  Dottles would fit in with the ebike.  You can't shake a stick without hitting an ebike out here.

Strong consideration.  The home here is architecturally well designed and the right size for us.  The weather and food are great. Our dog loves it. My wife and I are super active almost every day. Etc, etc..  But her dad drew up his will and estate plan himself, and despite having a law degree, he was NOT an estate lawyer.  IOW, what could have been a conversation with his kids to make the estate be broken up with the least tax implications and to make transfer of the home to one of the kids have tremendous tax savings, he left the CA home to the estate, and there was no simple right-of-first refusal or a reduced price for child(ren) or stuff that would make it easier to just buy the home.  We could swing it without selling our VA home (or easily do it by selling) but I'm not real antsy to do that, as it would also require a new job for me (probably happening soon anyway). 

We listed the home on Thurs, and signed the best offer on Monday, so unless it falls through, we're out of here by June 10th. :(  Then it is to Vail for a week, then a few days driving from CO to VA.

I am an effete local beer drinker who definitely needs to bundle up if the temps hit the high 50s!  Soon, that may be low 60s the way my blood is thinning so fast.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The Tarmac.  We brought my road bike and my wife's hybrid. No MTB nor the gravel bike :( Both would also be put to great use had I brought them.  Dottles would fit in with the ebike.  You can't shake a stick without hitting an ebike out here.

Strong consideration.  The home here is architecturally well designed and the right size for us.  The weather and food are great. Our dog loves it. My wife and I are super active almost every day. Etc, etc..  But her dad drew up his will and estate plan himself, and despite having a law degree, he was NOT an estate lawyer.  IOW, what could have been a conversation with his kids to make the estate be broken up with the least tax implications and to make transfer of the home to one of the kids have tremendous tax savings, he left the CA home to the estate, and there was no simple right-of-first refusal or a reduced price for child(ren) or stuff that would make it easier to just buy the home.  We could swing it without selling our VA home (or easily do it by selling) but I'm not real antsy to do that, as it would also require a new job for me (probably happening soon anyway). 

We listed the home on Thurs, and signed the best offer on Monday, so unless it falls through, we're out of here by June 10th. :(  Then it is to Aspen for a week, then a few days driving from CO to VA.

I am an effete local beer drinker who definitely needs to bundle up if the temps hit the high 50s!  Soon, that may be low 60s the way my blood is thinning so fast.

I am confused, and missed any earlier explanations as to why you are there.  So...you were there to sell the place in CA, assuming the FIL has died?   Will your wife become enriched beyond belief when the estate is divided?  Are the others inheritors reasonable people, or will this drag out forever?  Why will you need a new job?  Will you be hanging out with Lance and family in Aspen? (don't let the boy dog-sit if you are)

What is the story of it all?

Just now, Randomguy said:

I am confused, and missed any earlier explanations as to why you are there.  So...you were there to sell the place in CA, assuming the FIL has died?   Will your wife become enriched beyond belief when the estate is divided?  Are the others inheritors reasonable people, or will this drag out forever?  Why will you need a new job?  Will you be hanging out with Lance and family in Aspen? (don't let the boy dog-sit if you are)

What is the story of it all?

Close enough to reality :)

Wife is the executor. Only three siblings to work out the distribution.  Lots of drama as it was not and never was 25% per kid, so while we get a quarter, the other three are dramatically different, and despite pledging "fairness" after the final distribution, we'll see how that plays out.  We luckily avoided it by being given a "fair" share, and not having to ask for more or give any to make up for the other folks :D  It will drag out until next year, at least, as we can do a initial distribution after this place sells, then maybe another after the rental in VA sells, but will have to stay "open" until everything is settled after next year when the taxes are filed????

And wife corrected me - Vail, not Aspen.  I gotta check to see if I am closer to Bob Roll or Lance, and plan accordingly :)

We will not be rich.  And my current job only "allows" employees in certain states, generally East Coast ones, due to each state having different rules and regs? I imagine CA is a bit more employee-friendly than many other states, so when a company decides to have their way with someone, it is better to avoid states like that.

• Heart 1