What measuring tape should I get and why?

Randomguy

I have a Detroit Lions tape measure. I found it behind a file cabinet at work and kept it. I bet it came from uline. It's probably the best tape measure on the planet and you can get one with any team logo from uline if you spend enough money. You should get a Browns one.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, denniS said:

I have a Detroit Lions tape measure. I found it behind a file cabinet at work and kept it. I bet it came from uline. It's probably the best tape measure on the planet and you can get one with any team logo from uline if you spend enough money. You should get a Browns one.

He may be more a FatMax sort of guy!

image.thumb.png.ef3fd6dea04ff72e6f79d72ca69cfceb.png

• Heart 1

It depends on what type of work you are going to do with it. I have 4 different styles of tapes, 7 or 8 different sizes of machinist scales, 5 dial calipers 2 digital, 6 different sizes of micrometers.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

It depends on what type of work you are going to do with it. I have 4 different styles of tapes, 7 or 8 different sizes of machinist scales, 5 dial calipers 2 digital, 6 different sizes of micrometers.

I usually just use my foot or my thumb for most measurements.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Did you get the Browns tape measure yet? You should be measuring everything in your apt by now. I gave you the best advice, please ignore all others.

If you don't want to buy one, go to work and look behind the file cabinets. This where they are kept. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

Did you get the Browns tape measure yet? You should be measuring everything in your apt by now. I gave you the best advice, please ignore all others.

If you don't want to buy one, go to work and look behind the file cabinets. This where they are kept. 

Why isn't he using an app on his phone????  Is he being some sort of retro-grouch New York City HIPSTER and going old school on us?  I bet he is measuring his stereo rack to see what size turntable he can buy for his vinyl collection?

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why isn't he using an app on his phone????  Is he being some sort of retro-grouch New York City HIPSTER and going old school on us?  I bet he is measuring his stereo rack to see what size turntable he can buy for his vinyl collection?

The phone app does not snap back the way a real tape measure does. 

Fyi, my vinyl collection is awesome. I checked this out from the library as well as Jimi Hendrix live in Maui.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_U_W0y4U5eu-bc8YB_N7O_h5NdBGZP_H6j6rRWTGBtTo5SZb74iBGfmS5WIuK32mvzfBKfdu5&usqp=CAc

59 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have only used Stanley Power lock, as did every other carpenter I worked with.  That was 30 years ago.  Same product still exists.

I used to haul 20,000# coils of steel into Stanley Tool in New Britain Connecticut from a steel mill in Pennsylvania. It said on the bill of lading that it was measuring tape stock. The last time I looked a a Stanley Tool tape measure it said “made in China” :(

Be careful with a tape around kids. They love to play with break them and they also slice their fingers with them.

• Heart 1

Don't buy the Browns tape measure.  When it comes in the mail all shiny and new, you think "THIS is the tape measure!".  Then you hook it on something and start unreeling it.  1", 2", 3", all looking pretty good, yeah, nice tape measure.  4", a bit blurry, hmmmm, but 5" looks good.  6" is a bit short.  7" even worse, 8" seems to go on forever, 9" doesn't even show up, 10" looks like a high schooler wrote it, by then you just stop measuring accept a couple decent inches, and wait for the next tape measure hoping it will be better.

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

This, and the app you want is the one that uses GPS to measure driveways.  I have it on good authority it's highly accurate.

Oh, this reminds me of a smart ass post I had planned for the church key thread. :)  Thanks, Thad!