Remember when my wife called me "dummy"?

12string

Not really gonna argue.

Last week, the starter on the GTI died.  Replacement only took about an hour.  But during the rebuild I actually had it off the car, painted all pretty, put it back.  She was right.

Last night, took the long way home cause it's fun, a downshift out of a curve and all I got was grinding noise and no propulsion.  Had to get a tow this time.  I believe it's the left driveaxle that blew up it's CV joint.  OK, I'm no dummy, I DID replace that.  And it should have a warranty.  If I can remember where I bought it.

Really hoping it's not anything IN the transmission.

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

I believe it's the left driveaxle that blew up it's CV joint

Don't they usually start making a little noise before complete failure.  I've had a few of those replaced over the years and I was always able to drive on them for a few days before I got it in the shop and I was always pretty sure what the problem was.  I've never had one go from good to bad in under 60 seconds flat.

33 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not really gonna argue.

Last week, the starter on the GTI died.  Replacement only took about an hour.  But during the rebuild I actually had it off the car, painted all pretty, put it back.  She was right.

Last night, took the long way home cause it's fun, a downshift out of a curve and all I got was grinding noise and no propulsion.  Had to get a tow this time.  I believe it's the left driveaxle that blew up it's CV joint.  OK, I'm no dummy, I DID replace that.  And it should have a warranty.  If I can remember where I bought it.

Really hoping it's not anything IN the transmission.

I ran the '85 Golf's RF CV joint dry for a lot of miles. Eventually bought 2 kits & repacked the grease & fixed the boots without a rebuild.

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

That doesn’t make you a dummy. Simply means something failed. Happens.

You weren't here for the first part of the story.  I had pretty much the entire car apart.  And a few parts that would have been simple to replace then failed after I put it all back together, necessitating taking things apart again

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Don't they usually start making a little noise before complete failure.  I've had a few of those replaced over the years and I was always able to drive on them for a few days before I got it in the shop and I was always pretty sure what the problem was.  I've never had one go from good to bad in under 60 seconds flat.

If they fail from wear, yes.  But this is a brand new (remanufactured) part, apparently a catastrophic failure.

I had been noticing a little "clunk" on occasion when changing from reverse to forward.  And this was after letting my BiL play with the car.  He hasn't clutched in a while, so he did bang a few shifts at full throttle

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

You weren't here for the first part of the story.  I had pretty much the entire car apart.  And a few parts that would have been simple to replace then failed after I put it all back together, necessitating taking things apart again

Still not a dummy. A mechanic who made a judgement call. And gained some experience.  😊 

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Still not a dummy. A mechanic who made a judgement call. And gained some experience.  😊 

Can you have a chat with my wife?

I do wonder what was said when I called last night to ask for a ride home from the long way home I took just to drive and broke the car.  Especially since wife AND Jr. wife were out together, and I was supposed to get home first and make dinner.

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Mild throttle foot eh?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Can you have a chat with my wife?

I do wonder what was said when I called last night to ask for a ride home from the long way home I took just to drive and broke the car.  Especially since wife AND Jr. wife were out together, and I was supposed to get home first and make dinner.

What an original way to get out of cooking! 😉