Tired of garage living...

ChrisL

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

That seems luxurious compared to my life in about 4 days.

Do you have a porta potty? or do you use the house bath?

Well that seems a little personal... maybe he pees in the back yard to not waste water :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

That seems luxurious compared to my life in about 4 days.

Do you have a porta potty? or do you use the house bath?

We have use of the bathrooms but... The mirrors are down and everything is put away so we have to unpack every night & repack in the morning.  I have been off work all week & haven’t shaved but WOChrisL has to do make up with a small mirror. 

Same with the kitchen, some days it’s closed off, others it’s open.  Every evening we unpack to cook dinner & bfast, repack in the morning. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Well that seems a little personal... maybe he pees in the back yard to not waste water :)

I live in coastal SoCal.... Backyards are a luxury item for those willing to spend over $1.5M on a home... I have a yard the size of many apartment balconies... I aint peeing back there...

• Haha 1

Hope it's good weather while you all hunker down in garage.

For about 3 months, my parents lived in a garage with their first born baby..me.  I was born in Jan. in southern Ontario. My parents were very poor. My mother desperately wanted to leave a cold, damp garage.  There would have some some snow in that town.  So they did move to an apartment.

I didn't know about this garage living in my life until 2 yrs. ago. It was probably bad memory my parents wanted to block.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I live in coastal SoCal.... Backyards are a luxury item for those willing to spend over $1.5M on a home... I have a yard the size of many apartment balconies... I aint peeing back there...

Well here is what ya do then.. Ya got small frontage, get ya a garden hose and run it to the drain out front.. I'm sure you got a funnel somewhere also. 

BOOM... ya can be Cousin Eddie! 

• Awesome 1

We lived in an 8x47 trailer from the time I was 3 or 4 until I was 12. I had 2 brothers. We had a triple-stacked bunk. Our bedroom had to be passed through to get to the bathroom or Mom and Dad's bedroom. Dad worked nights and overtime to get enough money for a down payment on a house. When I was 12, We moved into a large 2 story farm house on 4+ acres. 

When I think about that trailer, I have to remember it's entire living space was the size of the family room in our current house!

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Pee is very good for plants. 

Just saying...

:D

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Hope it's good weather while you all hunker down in garage.

For about 3 months, my parents lived in a garage with their first born baby..me.  I was born in Jan. in southern Ontario. My parents were very poor. My mother desperately wanted to leave a cold, damp garage.  There would have some some snow in that town.  So they did move to an apartment.

I didn't know about this garage living in my life until 2 yrs. ago. It was probably bad memory my parents wanted to block.

Weather has been nice.  Typical coastal clouds in the morning that burn off around noon.  Lows in the mid 60’s, highs in the mid 70’s.  

I remember my parents speaking of their struggles in Holland with 3 kids, no warm clothes coming from the tropics and shoddy heating. My dad would put bricks on the heater, wrap them in socks and put them in the bed by my sisters feet to keep them warm at night.  I can’t imagine having to go through what our parents went through.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I didn't know you were living in the garage.  How long has it been??  Are you sleeping there?

No we are sleeping in our bedroom & this is day 7.  That’s part of our routine, take the plastic off everything, rearrange furniture so we can get on the bed & then move everything back & cover back up in the morning. 

We have been sleeping with the window & slider open for ventilation but other than the day they painted the ceiling the smell hasn’t been bad at all.  But yeah I think we killed some brain cells the night after they painted the ceiling....

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Day 7 of paint work... The lead guy said they are going to try to finish today but if not for sure Monday.  I have a tablet for the YouTube’s, talk to neighbors & basically just chill on my sons gaming chair feet propped on a cooler or lie on my makeshift bed.  

Paint & drywall looks awesome though, these guys are really good.  As much as it’s a PITA I’m glad we didn’t hotel it as the projects have gone over budget and hotel with a dog would have been $1,500 -$2000.  

And here’s to another day of garage living...

AA5699CA-88C5-4D8A-875C-D1687D97A0F9.thumb.jpeg.096e831d153bc8b238e74bfef528302b.jpeg

Is that like an alley at the backs of the houses?

22 minutes ago, roadsue said:

We lived in our front room during the demo and remodel. Our entry hallway became the kitchen. We put a Keurig coffee machine in the bedroom.  It was comfy and makes me think my house is probably too much space.

8DF292FE-EFE3-4B1B-90E5-DD01C0F7FF97.jpeg

156A3C68-5083-4F9A-936F-502FCF474808.jpeg

We are having work done in every room of the house so unfortunately can’t do that...  But it would be preferable to the garage.

We were told they would need Monday (not working Sunday) but they will finish the upstairs so we can get our bedroom & bathroom back together. 

• Heart 1