a ridiculous question this morning...

Dirtyhip

Honey, do you want to buy the property next to us?

I shut that shit down pretty quickly.

Hell to the no.

One more year of working.  More annual taxes. 

He was like "We could pick our neighbors when we wish to sell it."

I am just wanting the proceeds from our house to go back into the retirement account.  So, I was a definite NO. 

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We tend to be more conservative with money so I probably would have shut the idea down too.  But it may be worth running some numbers on the purchase.

If you don’t pick your neighbors, the one that picks you might be like FSOG’s shitstain neighbor who was always drunk driving and being loud and obnoxious in the neighborhood.  How much would it be worth to have some say on who might move in, DH?

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

If you don’t pick your neighbors, the one that picks you might be like FSOG’s shitstain neighbor who was always drunk driving and being loud and obnoxious in the neighborhood.  How much would it be worth to have some say on who might move in, DH?

It is likely about 70 grand for 2.75 acres.  

• Sad 1

If that's an area that's prone to become a suburb of a suburb, it might be a great investment.

A girl named Jane who became a close friend and occasional date of mine at UMBC, then mostly a commuter college, lived north of Baltimore in a small community surrounded by farms.  When I met her when I was a sophomore and she a freshman, there were two other houses besides hers on her street.  By the time I graduated, there were over a dozen.

Jane said, "If 10 of us could come up with $10,000 each, we could buy a property for $100,000 that's going to be worth millions because of the high-rate of suburban sprawl in Baltimore County.  Of course, $10,000 in 1973 was beyond us.  We fell out of touch but I ran into her some years later and asked her whatever happened to that property.  She said it sold for $3,000,000 about 5 years later.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is likely about 70 grand for 2.75 acres.  

With almost 3 acres I could build a small house with a race track....motocross or maybe a supermoto track....wouldn't it be fun 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

She could offer them lemonade.

I am loving the inside jokes here.

11 minutes ago, Zealot said:

What is your line of work @Dirtyhip?

I unclog heavy duty staplers, and manage the use of a three hole punch.  The three hole punch is electronic and too many people don't understand how to operate it.

Officially, I am an office manager.  

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I think she's an instructor for operation of three hole paper punches and copy machine paper-filling.

How dare you.  How dare you forget the important part of my job.  You forgot the heavy duty stapler

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I thought some of the other neighbors were hot to buy more land there.  I guess they can;t swing it?

They were so insulted by the owner of the property after their offer.  He said to them "You can't afford this property."  After that comment, they were like "Well screw you!"

This info is all second hand from the neighbors.

He was asking 60 grand for my piece.  The second piece was 69 grand.  They offered him 20 for both.  This happened briefly before we came in and offered the seller 50 and he accepted it.  Their offer was ridiculous.  

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This ^^^

We own the lot next to our home.   We didn't want to deal with any close neighbors. 

Well, goody for you.  :D

We have about 3/4 acre between us and our fence. This is way better than my current situation and I am pleased with that.  The house next door is about 25 feet from my wall at our city house.

I do not want to spend another 70 grand on this build. It's under contract anyway.  The only way we can swoop in is if there is a sale failure.