Famed architect Jahn killed in bike accident

MickinMD

Helmut Jahn, a prominent German architect who designed Chicago’s state government building and worked on the design of the FBI headquarters in Washington, was killed when two vehicles struck the bicycle he was riding outside Chicago.

Jahn, 81,  failed to stop at a stop sign at an intersection and was struck by the two vehicles, headed in opposite directions, Campton Hills Police Chief Steven Miller said in a news release.

He moved to Chicago in 1966 to study under legendary architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, a creator of modernist architecture, at the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Mickey's note: Mies van der Rohe died in 1969, four years before I went to IIT, then one of the top 25 U.S. colleges for Chemisty.  IIT was and is one of the top architecture schools in the USA.  So after I got there in 1973, I heard a coed talking in the dorm cafeteria and asked, "Is that a Baltimore accent I hear?"  She turned out to be Architecture major Anna Sickler, whose architect father, Donald Sickler, was famous-in-Maryland and had designed the Charles Center, the first modern huge shopping area in downtown Baltimore.

• Sad 2

I saw this. Very sad. As Donkpow points us, self inflicted mistake. 

I was driving the other night and encountered a teenage cyclist being reckless. Could have easily hit him. No lighting/reflection  and no helmet and riding down the middle of the street. Typical of a teenager, but the architect was in his 80’s. Maybe he didn’t see the stop sign.