Milage vs ??

Square Wheels

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

So, if I am comparing my car to another normal American driving a gas guzzling car I might say I get 25 miles to the gallon.  I refer to it as milage.

What do Canadians say?  kilometers per liter?  Is that kilometrage?

What do electric car drivers say?

I go with mileage, but, yeah, the CAnucks must have some weird saying!  MPGe might be the electric metric, but those calculated numbers are BS.  I'd be more interested in "miles per charge (on average)" and "time to full and/or 90% range" values for electric vehicles.  What are you seeing on the Tesla?

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, if I am comparing my car to another normal American driving a gas guzzling car I might say I get 25 miles to the gallon.  I refer to it as milage.

What do Canadians say?  kilometers per liter?  Is that kilometrage?

What do electric car drivers say?

I bet electric car drivers don't care as long as they make it to the the charging station 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, eyebike said:

exactly. I'd probably carry a spare battery worth 20-30 miles If there is such a thing

My wife has a Tesla.  It's pretty cool.  if you use the navigation it will tell you if you can make it on the battery capacity, or route you to a Tesla charge if needed.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, eyebike said:

exactly. I'd probably carry a spare battery worth 20-30 miles If there is such a thing

Doubtful.  It really isn't about making it to a charging station anymore in most developed areas, but rather about having the time to sit around recharging.  Nowadays, folks are go go go and double or triple booked, so sitting for even 10 minutes just topping off would be tough for them.  Most electric car folks are likely juicing up overnight and possibly at a store while shopping or at work, so they should rarely if ever be hitting a need for a top up.  It is the longer trips that stymie them the most and require real planning, but as a daily driver, a spare battery would rarely, if ever, be needed.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Doubtful.  It really isn't about making it to a charging station anymore in most developed areas, but rather about having the time to sit around recharging.  Nowadays, folks are go go go and double or triple booked, so sitting for even 10 minutes just topping off would be tough for them.  Most electric car folks are likely juicing up overnight and possibly at a store while shopping or at work, so they should rarely if ever be hitting a need for a top up.  It is the longer trips that stymie them the most and require real planning, but as a daily driver, a spare battery would rarely, if ever, be needed.

Triple booked.  :(  Way to shorten a miserable life.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I really am not following the e car tech but are e car makers using solar panels on car roofs or maybe small turbines where a radiator would go to generate electricity or is it plug in recharge only?

Plug in only.  Chevy Volts had the smaller motor that charged the battery on the fly. Obviously, you have random folks who make mods like solar panel, but those are not remotely feasible for generating "on the go" power to charge batteries.  Neat tech in the city bus world has bus lanes that can charge a bus while in the lane - sitting and maybe moving too?  But that infrastructure is not happening for cars anytime soon.

• Awesome 1