Sunscreen!

Razors Edge

Generally, I'm a "sunscreen in July and August months" sort of guy, but now that I am out in CA and riding on East Coast time, I'm having to use sunscreen all the time!  I am going through my sunscreen as fast as ever, and am getting sucked into a TWO showers a day routine that is BONKERS - especially in a parched place like CA. :o

How has your sunscreen use been this year?

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Has it been overcast down your way?  UV rays will burn you even when it’s cloudy.

I put it on my face daily as I have sun spots from years of exposure on my cheeks but I don’t wear sunscreen otherwise. 

It burns off before I ride usually, but it is amazing how my 9 mile ride to the beach can go from cloudy to blue skies (or vice versa).  Same if we go for a hike in the foothills - totally different between the two places.

I realized out here in CA that I have to slather on some sunscreen - at least for any ride prior to 4pm (maybe 5?) or so.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

It burns off before I ride usually, but it is amazing how my 9 mile ride to the beach can go from cloudy to blue skies (or vice versa).  Same if we go for a hike in the foothills - totally different between the two places.

I realized out here in CA that I have to slather on some sunscreen - at least for any ride prior to 4pm (maybe 5?) or so.

We are experiencing the “May Gray” which will be followed by the “June Gloom”.   Cool & overcast is norm this time of year but it generally does burn off by 1 PM.  Not always tho...

This weather pattern often lasts through July but it is then followed by our hottest months. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We are experiencing the “May Gray” which will be followed by the “June Gloom”.   Cool & overcast is norm this time of year but it generally does burn off by 1 PM.  Not always tho...

This weather pattern often lasts through July but it is then followed by our hottest months. 

As long as it's not "snow yesterday, snow today, snow tomorrow" or  "34o this morning..." :D

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Generally, I'm a "sunscreen in July and August months" sort of guy, but now that I am out in CA and riding on East Coast time, I'm having to use sunscreen all the time!  I am going through my sunscreen as fast as ever, and am getting sucked into a TWO showers a day routine that is BONKERS - especially in a parched place like CA. :o

two showers a day? wtf? 2-3 in a week and call it good. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

It just finished snowing. Hopefully the mt bike trails are rideable. I have plans after work.

I'm sure Chris can attest to this, but I have yet to see the mountain bike trails unrideable.  Every single day, the trails are rideable, hikeable, or just walkable :)

Just now, Razors Edge said:

As long as it's not "snow yesterday, snow today, snow tomorrow" or  "34o this morning..." :D

My MIL would often spend the summer with us and would always bitch about the clouds? It’s going to rain, look at the rain clouds.  It’s not going to rain, it’s the marine layer.  Oh it’s going to rain! Fine bring your umbrella then... 

She also would say those look like snow clouds, OMG it snows here?  Hasn’t snowed in 80 years, snow is highly unlikely.. OMG it’s going to snow while I’m here.... STFU already...

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My MIL would often spend the summer with us and would always bitch about the clouds? It’s going to rain, look at the rain clouds.  It’s not going to rain, it’s the marine layer.  Oh it’s going to rain! Fine bring your umbrella then... 

She also would say those look like snow clouds, OMG it snows here?  Hasn’t snowed in 80 years, snow is highly unlikely.. OMG it’s going to snow while I’m here.... STFU already...

But rattlesnakes and wild fires.  Best to mention those.  And black widows...or is it brown recluse????  Best folks stay away.  It's almost spring in most parts of the country soon :whistle:

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm sure Chris can attest to this, but I have yet to see the mountain bike trails unrideable.  Every single day, the trails are rideable, hikeable, or just walkable :)

Most of our trails are still snow covered. The south facing trails have dried out and have been rideable. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Our dirt gets really sticky like clay and our trails do close after rain as if they are ridden you will have concrete ruts a few weeks later.  It was a fairly dry winter so our trails didn’t really close this winter but they do/can.  

Whiting Ranch in the OC was closed for months due to fire damage.  

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But rattlesnakes and wild fires.  Best to mention those.  And black widows...or is it brown recluse????  Best folks stay away.  It's almost spring in most parts of the country soon :whistle:

Covid was a blessing in disguise for me with her... She told my wife she “will” be here for her bday (late June).  She says I’ll speak it into existence. My wife says, you mean you’ll nag me until I buy you a ticket??? Not happening. 

WOChrisL got rid of the bed that was in our daughters room and turned it into her office.  Her mom just doesn’t get it...

Now that she’s vaccinated though WOChrisL is thinking of making a trip back East to keep her from coming out here. 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I lived in CA for a couple years.  I didn’t use sunscreen.  I rarely do.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Listen, you are a drain on the water system there. I picture you as a baby wipes type of guy anyway. :lol:

13 hours ago, Zealot said:

I lived in CA for a couple years.  I didn’t use sunscreen.  I rarely do.

Exactly!  I've lived below the Mason-Dixon most of my life.  Yet I traditionally use sunscreen only in summer and only during peak hours.  But all of a sudden, I'm using it almost every day and it is playing havoc with my shower schedule!  @Dottles is correct about being a drain on the water system.  With sunscreen providing no skin "conditioning" properties, at least it is providing the "no redneck" and "no leathery/alligator skin" protection, so I have that going for me. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

@Razors EdgeYou should get a sunshirt. They protect you from the sun and keep you cool especially with the hood up.

Product image for lt beryl green/beryl grn x-dye

I do have sunshirts for the pool and beach but left them in VA :(  I like riding in short sleeves, so they don't work well for me on rides in nice weather.  But they are great at the beach as reapplying sunscreen after being in the ocean is less than fun and I don't like the spray on stuff which is easier.   I almost always wear a baseball cap out in the sun.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I do have sunshirts for the pool and beach but left them in VA :(  I like riding in short sleeves, so they don't work well for me on rides in nice weather.  But they are great at the beach as reapplying sunscreen after being in the ocean is less than fun and I don't like the spray on stuff which is easier.   I almost always wear a baseball cap out in the sun.

They are awesome for hiking. Every mountain and river guide around here wears them. I wear mine mtn biking and bikepacking.

• Awesome 1

I use sunscreen pretty regularly. Just enough cancer history in the family that I know I should. Believe it or not, the Equate brand spray from Walmart works pretty darned well! It doesn't feel greasy, doesn't smell bad, and doesn't get in the eyes as bad as other brands. 

I have buying desert shirts with high spf for afternoon drives in the Miata. 

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

I use sunscreen pretty regularly. Just enough cancer history in the family that I know I should. Believe it or not, the Equate brand spray from Walmart works pretty darned well! It doesn't feel greasy, doesn't smell bad, and doesn't get in the eyes as bad as other brands. 

I have buying desert shirts with high spf for afternoon drives in the Miata. 

I use the Target Up&Up sport that is fragrance free and is not too greasy.  It is a good value.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I am gonna buy sunsleeves this year and be less sticky.  My legs are hairy, so I don't need as much there, and will supplement with sunscreen there.  I have a bunch left over from the last couple of years.

BWAHAHAHA.  I predict you have a lot of "one arm tan, one arm pale" unless you start rotating the one sunsleeve you can keep track of!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BWAHAHAHA.  I predict you have a lot of "one arm tan, one arm pale" unless you start rotating the one sunsleeve you can keep track of!

:angry:

I ordered another pair of defeet arm warmers, but in neon yellow instead of black.  Now I can ride with one yellow and one black if I want to change it up or look like a bumblebee.

The sun sleeves I will get will be white.  Still deciding on Louis Garneau or Pearl Izumi, leaning towards the PI for the moment.

Just now, Randomguy said:

:angry:

I ordered another pair of defeet arm warmers, but in neon yellow instead of black.  Now I can ride with one yellow and one black if I want to change it up or look like a bumblebee.

The sun sleeves I will get will be white.  Still deciding on Louis Garneau or Pearl Izumi, leaning towards the PI for the moment.

When do you plan to implement your grand "ride with sunsleeves"?  July?

I would say to plan ahead and order them before every other summer worrier does.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When do you plan to implement your grand "ride with sunsleeves"?  July?

I would say to plan ahead and order them before every other summer worrier does.

Yeah, I called the local REI and they have them in stock.  I am wondering if there will be a big sale in late May, though.  I might hold off until I know the score there.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Yeah, I called the local REI and they have them in stock.  I am wondering if there will be a big sale in late May, though.  I might hold off until I know the score there.

You have time.  I hear the snowplows are almost done their work for the season in most parts of the country.  You should see some UV come your way in a couple months.