basic questions, windows version, office version

shootingstar

If you have Office 365, then whenever Microsoft botches an update or has server issues, you have no Office.  If you have Office 365, it is probably 64 bit.  This can be an issue if you use macros or Access databases.  I normally recommend 32 bit Office to avoid issues.  32 bit Office runs fine on 64 bit Windows.  Unless you are using Excel spreadsheets that have millions of rows, you probably do not need the 64 bit version.  I also do not use Office 365, but Office 2016 or 2019 to avoid issues when Microsoft has problems.

How to tell what version of Office 365 you have:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/about-office-what-version-of-office-am-i-using-932788b8-a3ce-44bf-bb09-e334518b8b19

• Heart 1

image.png.010fcc61c5de5fda94ddeb917154e3f5.png

My first thought... why is SS asking about the registry in Windows.

Then this confirmed my concern. 

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I don't want to tinker with registry file.

I can't read any email body text and after reading documentation, it just scares me to tinker with registry...

If you have to ask... don't edit the Windows registry.

8 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

If you have Office 365, then whenever Microsoft botches an update or has server issues, you have no Office.

Yesterday...  MS sent out a bad update.  I use Office 2016 and Outlook would open but there was NO body of text in any email.   

I spend 4 hours trying to figure that out.  :angry:   The web version of Outlook worked OK.   My local version of Office 2016 had to received the bad update.

I removed MS Office.   Installed a fresh copy from my DVD (hint old version, before the update) and everything was OK again.

According to what I read the bug had been removed, and a new update fixes the problem.

• Heart 1

Try this - copy this line

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.20462

Right click on the windows logo and click run. Paste this into the box and hit enter. We are seeing a lot of this and this seems to be helping. 

ogram Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13901.2046

Are you aware of WPS Office which is legally free and almost identical to M.S. Office 2016's Word, Excel, and PowerPoint?

There may be some WPS Spreadsheets functions that work differently than M.S. Excel but, if so, very few.  I've had no trouble running WPS xls and xlsx files on Excel and vice-versa and I use a large variety of relatively simple functions like =(SUMPRODUCT(C5:C15, J5:J15)-C10*J10)/(J18-J16-J10), and =J30*$B$3/(today()-$X$23) and =B24+(B31-6100)+'Stocks ''21'!$U$19 and some comparison type functions like IF and VLOOKUP.

I use WPS Spreadsheets and Writer and like some extra features better than M.S. Office.

Overview here: https://www.wps.com/office/

Download it for Win 10 here: https://www.wps.com/download/