What do you find attractive in a mate?

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

High level of self confidence

Smart

Quick to laugh

These, plus low maintenance.  I could not be with someone who it would take an hour to do hair and makeup and the right clothes just to go to buy groceries.

Someone who is as comfortable sitting on a rock by a lake eating rehydrated food out of a backpack as they are at a Michelin star restaurant.

Someone who is nice to people, even people you know they don't like.

But most attractive of all, as I am about as physically appealing as a bag of bruised apples, is they need to be attracted to me too

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

But most attractive of all, as I am about as physically appealing as a bag of bruised apples, is they need to be attracted to me too

:D

It seems, maybe the question is... "Why would a smart person with a high level of self confidence & who is quick to laugh be attracted to us*?"

* @Randomguy need not answer as it is obvious why for him.

17 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

These, plus low maintenance.  I could not be with someone who it would take an hour to do hair and makeup and the right clothes just to go to buy groceries.

Someone who is as comfortable sitting on a rock by a lake eating rehydrated food out of a backpack as they are at a Michelin star restaurant.

Someone who is nice to people, even people you know they don't like.

AMEN!!!! And this is Mrs Z.  😊 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I might need another one, I don’t do well living alone.

When my grandma passed, I was 14. Guessing her and grandpa were in mid 50's. He re-married quickly after she passed because he was lonely. Turned out she was a horrible woman. She was a gold digger. It only took a few years for him to divorce her. He never re-married, but a few years later, he found a woman who was very kind and stayed with him until he passed away. I never got to meet her because she stayed in AZ when he came up to visit, (we couldn't afford to go down there at the time), but Mom went down when he was having health issues and was thrilled he had her down there. 

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I might need another one, I don’t do well living alone.

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

When my grandma passed, I was 14. Guessing her and grandpa were in mid 50's. He re-married quickly after she passed because he was lonely. Turned out she was a horrible woman. She was a gold digger. It only took a few years for him to divorce her. He never re-married, but a few years later, he found a woman who was very kind and stayed with him until he passed away. I never got to meet her because she stayed in AZ when he came up to visit, (we couldn't afford to go down there at the time), but Mom went down when he was having health issues and was thrilled he had her down there. 

My FiL, whose estate we are settling out here in CA,  lost his wife of 40+years (I think they hit 50 years).  He was a classic "strong" guy, but he did take it super hard, and ended up attending the local bereavement group at his church.  He started dating (was a relative "catch"), but eventually found a woman in the group that really matched him well.  She was also a widow and had her own money, and they spent the last 6 years of his life together.  She was (is still) a good person who definitely made his life better and he actually grew a lot as a person from the "fresh" relationship - new dynamics, new energy, new ideas. 

Folks can have more than one love in their lives and each is unique. 

• Heart 3

I'd say, though, that perhaps Groucho said it best in a few different ways:

• I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
  • I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
  • I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
  • I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I dated several women who on the first date bored me. No Thanks. 

BuffCarla doesn’t bore me. She often exasperates me, but doesn’t bore me. 

I kind of dug her, let her know that I approve of your match still.

When are you guys coming back here?

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd say, though, that perhaps Groucho said it best in a few different ways:

• I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
  • I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.
  • I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
  • I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

When people want to get political, I tell them I’m a Groucho Marxist and this statement is my party platform!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Can they also function as bug zappers if you get crabs somehow?

yes.  bug zappers, power banks to recharge your phone, their eyes can illuminate and be used as lanterns.  They really are good for so much more than just sex.

I was bike camping with a lady from Wisconsin one year. I had just bought a cheap tent for the trip. The problem was the rain fly was the same size as opening in the tent that the fly was supposed to cover. No overlap. She laughed when we had tornado warnings the one night. She said you ain’t sleeping with me, I just have room for me and my bike.  The tornado blew over all the portable toilets but we didn’t get any rain with it.

• Heart 1