What brands have your loyalty?

Kirby

When I go shopping, I'll often opt for the generic or store brand option.  Generic allergy medicines  are a lot cheaper than name brands and seem to work as well for me. But there are some times when I will not substitute.  I'll stick with Bounty paper towels and either Puffs or Kleenex tissues. I'm also fairly loyal when it comes to skin products since I know certain brands won't cause an allergic reaction.  And I may not buy saltine crackers often, but if I do, they're going to be Premium Brand.

So how about you?  Are there some products where you won't switch brands?  Other areas where you'll go for generic or store brands?

• Heart 3

None.  Many have heightened consideration, but few would ever earn a "must" status, and none currently occupy that rarefied air!

Honda is a perfect example - I'd go to them FIRST for a replacement car, but their recent styling decisions and options in transmissions has made them no longer solely in the lead.  Other brands have better styling, better engine/transmission/drivetrain options, and similar (or better) reliability.  Times change.

But Bounty or Coke are clear first choices!  Puffs or Kleenex are too similar for me so also usually are decided on price and "options" (must be with lotion/aloe).

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Associated, Fantom, Exotek and Drag Race Concepts.

How long have you been doing the RC stuff, and how long have those been your "go to" brands?  Is there really no upstarts that steal their thunder? Or offer a better value and/or performance?

Advil

La Mexicana tortillas (made here in GI)

SunBelt breakfast bars

WoW prefers AngelSoft TP. 

The list was longer before the pandemic. So often the shelves were "take what you can get". We survived. Still prefer certain brands, but found other options were good, too. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

When I go shopping, I'll often opt for the generic or store brand option.  Generic allergy medicines  are a lot cheaper than name brands and seem to work as well for me. But there are some times when I will not substitute.  I'll stick with Bounty paper towels and either Puffs or Kleenex tissues. I'm also fairly loyal when it comes to skin products since I know certain brands won't cause an allergic reaction.  And I may not buy saltine crackers often, but if I do, they're going to be Premium Brand.

So how about you?  Are there some products where you won't switch brands?  Other areas where you'll go for generic or store brands?

subaru.  We are on our 9th subie. I have embraced my inner lesbian 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Toyota's (I am on my 4th and will replace it with the same again when it is time)

Giant Defy bikes.  On my second and stick with that should I need a replacement again

"Buck Brand" oranges are the only ones I buy.  The rest of the year I go without

• Heart 1

I don't generally shop based on brand alone.  There are some I trust, and that would sway my opinion.  But I mostly understand that "brand loyalty" is mostly successful marketing

That said, I went wine shopping last night to restock, didn't have a lot of time to shop, and realized that about 3/4 of my purchase was from the 90+ label.  I just know they are always a bargain and I've never gone wrong with them

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Bell Helmets

Giro

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Honda is a perfect example

Yup - Honda is the first stop

1 hour ago, eyebike said:

either Puffs

Puffs or nothing

1 hour ago, denniS said:

WTB saddles. I think I own 6 of these.

WTB Rocket Race Saddle | REI Co-op

Yup.  I think I need to buy one more of those

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, 12string said:

Gasoline brand loyalty used to be  HUGE thing.   People swore by their favorite brand.  There really is almost zero difference in gasoline brands now, I don't know if maybe there was back in the day

There is one big difference. To be on the Top Tier gasoline list, the gasoline brand must meet standards for detergent additives to reduce deposit buildup. This has to be at all their stations and for all grades of their gasoline.  Non Top Tier gasoline may not have much in the way of detergents.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There is one big difference. To be on the Top Tier gasoline list, the gasoline brand must meet standards for detergent additives to reduce deposit buildup. This has to be at all their stations and for all grades of their gasoline.  Non Top Tier gasoline may not have much in the way of detergents.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

For gas, it is all Costco, almost all of the time.

• Heart 1

I dig @denniS responses.  Before I saw his responses I was going to say Shimano.  I think they have found the secret sauce for price to performance.  I have preferred brands but really am not that choosy with most things. 

My Anthem came with SRAM GX but I had SLX on my previous bike and preferred the shifting over SRAM.   I also have Campy on one road bike but will never use anything but Shimano on a road/cross/gravel  bike again. 

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I dig @denniS responses.  Before I saw his responses I was going to say Shimano.  I think they have found the secret sauce for price to performance.  I have preferred brands but really am not that choosy with most things. 

My Anthem came with SRAM GX but I had SLX on my previous bike and preferred the shifting over SRAM.   I also have Campy on one road bike but will never use anything but Shimano on a road/cross/gravel  bike again. 

There are actually a lot of bike brands I will "shop" but few that are "the one".  I have Shimano on all my bikes, and think it is great stuff...but...I would buy a SRAM replacement cassette for my MTB if I need one - depending on price and availability of a Shimano part.  So, yeah, Shimano is "my brand" but not to the  exclusion of other stuff.  Likewise, I generally buy Santini jerseys these days, but if I see a cool one from another brand (and know the right size to order :angry: ), I don't mind branching out for a change :)  I like PI gloves, Performance stuff sometimes, Specialized saddles, Speedplay pedals, etc..  I'm definitely sticking with Garmin computers, and do like the Revelate "gas can" on my Diverge, so could see picking other stuff from them. 

I think instead of "loyal", I am more a try it out and if I like it, add them to the approved vendors list :) 

For almost everything foodwise I like the store brands except for Bush's Baked Beans, and brand-name soft drinks.  Almost everything sold at Aldi is 1/3 to 2/3 the price of brand names and tastes better.

Schmidt's 647 bread (high fiber, low net carbs) is soft, has a great taste/texture, and has allowed type-II diabetic me to start eating bread again after years of very rare eating - even my non-diabetic nephew likes the taste/texture so much he has asked his mother to make his sandwiches with it.  Two 18 oz. white/Italian loaves are $3.99 to $4.99 at Costco and about $3.99 ea. at most supermarkets. 8 Hot Dog or 8 Hamburger rolls of 647 are usually $3.99.

My last Samsung Smart HD TV was very high rated and SO good and vibrant - I, partly red-green colorblind, suddenly realized that Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond always work a red or pink top.  So I'll start there for my house's new Smart (gets Internet directly from the wireless WiFi router) HDTV, but will check out everything reasonably priced.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I prefer Shimano too, but I have Sram on two bikes. Sram shifters just are not as good as Shimano. I do not like double-tap. their mt bike shifters are not as ergonomic as Shimano. 

I think it is time for Sram to give up on brakes. They should buy some Shimano XT brakes, copy the design, and slap their brand on it. The best thing about Avid BB7 brakes is they are so loud, they keep the bears away.

1 minute ago, denniS said:

I prefer Shimano too, but I have Sram on two bikes. Sram shifters just are not as good as Shimano. I do not like double-tap. their mt bike shifters are not as ergonomic as Shimano. 

I think it is time for Sram to give up on brakes. They should buy some Shimano XT brakes, copy the design, and slap their brand on it. The best thing about Avid BB7 brakes is they are so loud, they keep the bears away.

I think it’s funny that my SRAM brakes are fine but I don’t care for the shifting.  There is always one gear I can never get from rattling.  I have adjusted it and I had a shop mess with it several times and there is always that one F’ing gear.... I have heard this complaint from others as well.  I also prefer the ergonomics to Shimano. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think it’s funny that my SRAM brakes are fine but I don’t care for the shifting.  There is always one gear I can never get from rattling.  I have adjusted it and I had a shop mess with it several times and there is always that one F’ing gear.... I have heard this complaint from others as well.  I also prefer the ergonomics to Shimano. 

I have the same problem on my X7 rd. It has those barrel adjusters in the cable. One gear in the middle just comes out of tune.

I have some Shimano 105 shifters from 2009 that work much better than Sram apex. 

SRAM Compact 4.0mm Alloy Barrel Shift Cable Adjusters Black Pair

Schwable bike tires

Neutrogena skin moisturizer, Allenbury's face soap, Dove's body soap. Don't ask why I don't use dispenser soap for showering.  I have no idea. But I probably power through too much soap too fast.

Curel, Nivea body lotion. I use strong lotion for very dry skin.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Schwable bike tires

Agreed. Brooks saddles too for me. 

Clothes, I like L.L. Bean. 
Paper towels I used to like Bounty, but now it’s Viva or nothing. 
Soap, Mike’s Natural. An order of magnitude better than the second best shaving soap’s lather. 
Soft drinks, there is only Coca-Cola. 

• Heart 1

• 9 months later...