Guess where I am

BR46

Back in 1979 when I first moved to Michigan there was a bar here owned by Jim Gilmore the sponsor for AJ Foyt.  The bar had one of AJ's cars hanging by small strong wires suspended just above the bar.  You could stand there and order a drink and reach up and spin the front tire on the #14 (if you were tall enough).  @Digital_photog knows the Gilmore name from the Gilmore Car Museum.

It looked just like this...

image.png.c4db9c99e8f3e29db58d9c4b93e5cada.png

• Heart 1

Not many people came out for the track day. Only 5 motorcycles on the small track. 

The big track is having a test and tune day. Just watched a guy put his Porsche into the wall in turn 8. All 4 wheels are pointed in different directions. 

20210512_123530.thumb.jpg.d8385026a932bb3a8a9bf3ddadd7c5fb.jpg

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Back in 1979 when I first moved to Michigan there was a bar here owned by Jim Gilmore the sponsor for AJ Foyt.  The bar had one of AJ's cars hanging by small strong wires suspended just above the bar.  You could stand there and order a drink and reach up and spin the front tire on the #14 (if you were tall enough).  @Digital_photog knows the Gilmore name from the Gilmore Car Museum.

It looked just like this...

image.png.c4db9c99e8f3e29db58d9c4b93e5cada.png

Several years ago I had Toyota Technical Center (TTC) as a client and they had a prototype F1 or maybe Indy car, not sure they all look the same to me.  

Anyway two guys were pushing it out of a truck and I offered to help as I was right there.  Nah we got it, it’s super light without the engine.  They let me push it a bit and it was surprisingly easy to push?!?!?

I’m guessing without an engine those cars could be supported with just a few wires.

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Lucky coincidence or was that part of why you settled there?  :D

Just lucky I guess. I grew up about 6 on 7 miles from where I live now. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I moved here because there's a dragstrip about 6 miles from my house.

It closed the year after.

It's the consumer reports auto test site now.,

That sucks.

Ha.. I can top that... I live where I do now because my wife told me this is where we are going to live. 

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1