Things you need to know about your new electric car

maddmaxx

I was in a parking lot near I-91 in New London today and saw a small family group in a Tesla pull in off the highway and plug into a charging station.  For the next 30 min or so they played with their phones or napped and then they were on their way?

How much of a charge does a Tesla get in half an hour and what do you carry on long trips to keep you busy while waiting?

Gas vehicles are better, but my pops is stupid and got a Tesla. He says with the fast charge, in about 1/4 a charge. 
It takes his about 1.5 hours for a full charge on the rapid mode or 8 hours on the home charger. 

Tesla still uses more of a carbon footprint then a gas car

18 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I would be deathly afeared of running oot of juice. 

that's why you haul a gas generator with you.. you can just power yourself up in the middle of nowhere.. :lol:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I think I know why the driver was playing on the phone so much.  He was getting some readings from the charge station and calculating how far he could get and comparing it with where he was going,.

that's all done on the dashboard. they even have a fireplace mode that keeps the car at a certain temp on every saving mode.. 

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was in a parking lot near I-91 in New London today and saw a small family group in a Tesla pull in off the highway and plug into a charging station.  For the next 30 min or so they played with their phones or napped and then they were on their way?

How much of a charge does a Tesla get in half an hour and what do you carry on long trips to keep you busy while waiting?

Electric cars are "horses for courses", and when folks can't wrap their brains around it, that's where the issues come into play.  In some cases, like the one you witnessed, perhaps the wait and charge were all part of his plan?  God only knows why folks hang out at places I see them hanging out, but if you drive the I-95 corridor, you'll see many, many cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. sitting in the rest areas.  Folks are inside eating, shopping(!), just walking around, etc., so the odd Tesla owner surfing the web while charging doesn't really seem too out of place compared to the other folks doing who knows what else.

I'm guessing more than a few cowboys sat around scratching their heads as those new-fangled horseless carriages came on the scene!  Who would ever buy one of those and why???

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1