Have you noticed that some e-books scroll and some have pages?

Ralphie

I have the third gen Kindle e-reader. It functions great for being 9 years old. Still has a month+ battery of active reading. It of course hasn't had an update to the firmware in years, even getting new purchases to show up requires a computer logged in to the Kindle store and manually "push" to the device. The priority delivery doesn't always believe that gen is worthy of sending a book to?

For scrolling or page turning, it only page turns. I think I'd prefer that.

Having just gone through that, it has a lot to do with the device and scaling issues. There are two layouts - fixed and re-flow. Fixed is guaranteed to be a page turner and in the page layout software (InDesign) what I wrote the book in. Fixed layout makes it very easy for print books but converting to electronic introduces issues. If the book was written with a 5"x8" pages, now showing on a phone, tablet, or computer screen, the page size and count remains the same but reduced viewing area. Did really weird spacing of fonts in titles and pinch to expand on phone so readable. Had to re-export as a reflowable document. Page numbers/footers and table of content disappears - becoming menu links and if pages are even noted, at 150 page document on fixed format may become 275 page document as the document fits to the device. Then it becomes up to the device how it displays the reflow document - either as a continual scroll and the software ranges it in a flipable page relative to the size of the device.

Graphics are the major challenge, and mine was heavy graphics. Fixed format is best for graphics as it stays where placed and has text wrap. Word based novels are best for reflow as graphics are an issue. Default is to place at end of section/chapter/paragraph related to where they are anchored, maintaining some continuity with the subject. With special coding can keep graphic totally in context displaying where anchored at sentence break - but no word wrap. I displays centered format between the two sentences, etc.

• Heart 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:11 AM, Zealot said:

Honestly, I haven’t yet read an e-book.  My wife reads them. But I still love the feel and smell of a real book. 

With my eyes not being as perfect for reading as they used to be, I've been to gravitate to e-books.  I have bought several paper-page books in the last year that don't come in cheap ebook versions.

• Heart 2

I do a fair amount of investigation/research on line to find the right equipment and materials when putting a project together.  Some manufacturers think it's a great idea to have their online information in the form of a virtual catalog where you actually have to click to 'turn the pages' as if you were viewing a hard copy catalog.  I find it a most inefficient way to get the information I need.  In my business time is indeed money.  In nearly every instance I'll leave the site and find a manufacturer that has better organized its information so I can search it quickly.

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

With my eyes not being as perfect for reading as they used to be, I've been to gravitate to e-books.  I have bought several paper-page books in the last year that don't come in cheap ebook versions.

I like being able too make the letters bigger with a couple mouse clicks....