Two planes collide mid-air: NO one injured!

MickinMD

The planes, one with one occupant, one with two occupants collided near Denver, story here.  One plane overshot the runway where it was trying to land and collided with the other plane approaching a parallel runway.

An official urged the survivors of the no-injuries crash to buy lottery tickets.  One plane had a plane parachute and dropped safely to the ground. The other, with the fuselage ripped wide-open managed a normal landing.

image.thumb.png.41f1c65dbf04f3e9a7da68740e29ef6b.png

image.thumb.png.2ff572b5cf5782aaad8739f2fa717804.png

• Awesome 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Man was never meant to fly.

...but were planes meant to fly???  That seems more relevant!

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I saw two planes collide over Carlsbad about 20 years ago, but all died.

They were small private planes, btw.

HOLY CRAP!!!!  I was watching a small plane come to Palomar airport yesterday - single engine two seater - and it was a bobbin' and a weavin' (which I thought looked fun) as it made its approach.  I jokingly asked my wife if it made it down as I lost sight of it as the traffic light went to green & I drove off.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

HOLY CRAP!!!!  I was watching a small plane come to Palomar airport yesterday - single engine two seater - and it was a bobbin' and a weavin' (which I thought looked fun) as it made its approach.  I jokingly asked my wife if it made it down as I lost sight of it as the traffic light went to green & I drove off.

When they collided, it was far away.  I kept watching the news for the next few hours until the story broke.  When they collided, it looked like a container of baby powder broke, essentially.

2 planes collide over California, killing 3

September 17, 2002 Posted: 9:44 PM EDT (0144 GMT)

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/US/West/09/17/small.plane.collision/vert.plane.crash.ap.jpg
An investigator walks through the wreckage of one of two planes involved in the mid-air collision.  

From Patty Davis
CNN Washington Bureau

CARLSBAD, California (CNN) -- Two small planes collided while attempting to land in Carlsbad, California, killing at least three people -- two on one plane and one in the other, said police.

Debris was strewn over a field about a mile northwest of Carlsbad.

Witnesses told police they saw both planes traveling in an easterly direction before they collided at 12:57 p.m. (3:57 p.m. EDT).

No one on the ground was injured, police said.

The planes were flying under visual flight rules, meaning they did not have to file a flight plan, "but they were in contact with air traffic control because they were landing," said FAA spokesman Laura Brown in Washington.

I've only been present for two airplane crashes.  One was at an airshow I was flying in and involved a flying farmer style act where during one of the simulated drunken wobbling takeoffs the Piper Cub stalled about 30 feet off the ground and landed on a wing tip at almost 0 airspeed.  The pilot was unhurt (except for his pride).  It turns out he was a flying farmer act student learning the business. Oops.

The other was unfortunately a fatal at the South Weymouth Air Station show in Mass where a young lady who was a world class amateur aerobatic pilot suffered a mechanical failure in a Citabria aerobatic aircraft.  This one resulted in about a 2 foot tall pile of wreckage on fire in the middle of the runway.  The crowd rushed the fence to oohhh and ahhh which upset womaxx so much she never went to another show anywhere anytime.

• Sad 2

On 5/13/2021 at 11:00 AM, Razors Edge said:

Are you calling Mick a LIAR?!?!?!?

That would be ok.  My Uncle John would argue with me - or anyone else - about something that happened and when you showed him the article in the newspaper, he'd say, "Oh, that's a misprint!"

• Haha 2