Bose built the first FDA-cleared hearing aids that won't require a doctor's visit

Airehead

Would you try them at $850?

I was disappointed to learn they do not allow you to use a blue tooth connection to connect to your phone.

BOSE OFFICIALLY INTRODUCES SOUNDCONTROL HEARING AIDS

First FDA-Cleared Direct-to-Consumer Hearing Aid

Revolutionary Bose App Clinically Proven for Audiologist-Quality Results

Today, Bose announces the new SoundControl™ Hearing Aids — the first FDA-cleared, direct-to-consumer hearing aid developed for adults with perceived mild to moderate hearing loss. Paired with the revolutionary Bose Hear app, users can fit, program, and control a SoundControl Hearing Aid for clinically proven, audiologist-quality results — without a doctor visit, hearing test, or prescription. And they can make setting adjustments themselves, in real-time and real-world environments, without assistance from a healthcare professional. SoundControl Hearing Aids come with a 90-day risk-free trial, dedicated product support, and are available at a fraction of the cost of most conventional hearing aids. They will be sold directly from Bose for $849.95 starting May 18th in five states: Massachusetts, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas — with nationwide availability to follow.

“In the United States alone, approximately 48 million people suffer from some degree of hearing loss that interferes with their life. But the cost and complexity of treatment have become major barriers to getting help,” said Brian Maguire, category director of Bose Hear. “The Bose Hear app lets owners set up and customize their SoundControl Hearing Aids from home — in less than an hour — to reconnect with the moments that matter. That’s an amazing advancement the industry has been missing and nothing short of a breakthrough.”

Optimized to Hear Better and Hear More
The Bose SoundControl Hearing Aids were developed by Bose scientists, audiologists, and engineers, combining over 30 years of research in mobile audio, mobile sound management, and advanced data science. It was optimized, conceptualized, developed, and tested solely to improve hearing and does not stream music or calls. With its proprietary technology, speech that once sounded mumbled — especially consonant sounds — is clearer; children’s voices and softer voices are better heard and understood; and following and joining conversations is easier, even in noisy environments.

Revolutionary Bose CustomTune™ Technology and the Bose Hear App
Bose CustomTune technology is an advancement so significant it redefines hearing aids entirely. It’s integrated in the Bose Hear app so users can personalize their settings in about 30 minutes — a seismic shift from the process required for conventional hearing aids. And it’s deceptively simple, offering hundreds of options for fine-tuning from just two simple controls: World Volume can be turned up to amplify quiet sounds more than loud ones so listening is more comfortable, while Treble/Bass can adjust tone to accentuate or diminish certain vocal frequencies. Using Treble, what’s heard is crisper and brighter; using Bass modifies richness and depth.

To help with communication or specific surroundings — whether outside or inside — there’s also a Focus feature. Users can choose the Front setting to zone in on conversations — ideal in a busy environment. Or they can select the Everywhere setting to hear sounds all around — ideal for walks, working around the house, or a day at the park. Presets for activities and places can be named and stored in Modes, providing effortless access to preferences for a favorite restaurant, dinner at home with the family, or watching a movie together.

Choosing eartips is equally straightforward. SoundControl Hearing Aids come with three sizes, both open and closed dome. Finding the right fit and design is done with the app’s step-by-step guide and plain-language tutorials.

Complimentary Video Appointments
The Bose Hear app also offers dedicated support. Customers can schedule one-on-one video appointments with Bose Hear Product Experts to get personalized help and guidance — at no cost.

Product Details — Discreet Design, Natural Audio, Batteries, Buttons, and More
Bose SoundControl Hearing Aids feature a behind-the-ear, receiver-in-canal design and deliver natural, lifelike audio. Each weighs 3 grams and contains two microphones, one tiny speaker, and a standard 312 zinc-air battery. Eight batteries are included in total, and one lasts up to four days when used 14 hours daily. They can be replaced wherever hearing aid batteries are sold and easily changed via a durable door on the exterior. There’s also a World Volume button integrated on the housing for convenient, quick control. For added protection, SoundControl Hearing Aids are water-resistant to survive light exposure to rain or water and come with a small case for storage and transport.

Compatibility, Eligibility, and Bose.com
SoundControl Hearing Aids are compatible with iOS and Android devices, use low-energy Bluetooth®, and are eligible for FSA and HSA reimbursement. Visitors to Bose.com can find additional information and details starting today.

Clinical Study
In a clinical study with researchers at Northwestern University, Bose CustomTune technology yielded results that were as good if not better than those achieved by traditional prescription-fitting methods used by audiologists. The study’s participants were split into two groups with similar levels of hearing loss. One group used Bose CustomTune technology to self-tune a device, the other had the same device fit and tuned by an audiologist. Participants using Bose CustomTune technology reported being more satisfied with their sound quality than those whose devices were tuned by a hearing health professional.

About Bose Corporation
Bose Corporation was founded in 1964 by Dr. Amar G. Bose, then a professor of electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Today, the company is driven by its founding principles, investing in long-term research to develop new technologies with real customer benefits. Bose innovations have spanned decades and industries, creating and transforming categories in audio and beyond. Bose products for the home, in the car, on the go, and in public spaces have become iconic, changing the way people listen to music.

Bose Corporation is privately held. The company’s spirit of invention, passion for excellence, and commitment to extraordinary experiences can be found around the world — everywhere Bose does business.

K211008 

# # #

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I was disappointed to learn they do not allow you to use a blue tooth connection to connect to your phone.

???

SoundControl Hearing Aids are compatible with iOS and Android devices, use low-energy Bluetooth®, and are eligible for FSA and HSA reimbursement. Visitors to Bose.com can find additional information and details starting today.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

???

This changes my considerations.

In the lead article I read, "And no, they don't play music or handle calls — they're very much focused on hearing improvements."

One of our MRI techs got a pair of the MD hearing aids and loves them. I need HoSmudge to get something. At the very least he needs to use them when I get home from work until bedtime. I can't take that loud tv after a day at work. It's too much. 

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

This changes my considerations.

In the lead article I read, "And no, they don't play music or handle calls — they're very much focused on hearing improvements."

Yeah - I think it's more around "these are not headphones or earbuds", but they likely have the same direct link to a phone that Phonak or others would have.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

One of our MRI techs got a pair of the MD hearing aids and loves them. I need HoSmudge to get something. At the very least he needs to use them when I get home from work until bedtime. I can't take that loud tv after a day at work. It's too much. 

Understood-- and HOSmudge is likely missing things like conversations.  As a long time hearing aid wearer, once you get used to them, they really are quite important.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

If someone already has prescription hearing aids, what do these do that those don't?  Is it the ability to make adjustments on your own as conditions change?

The big issue is the huge difference in price.  At less than one thousand dollars they are less than the $5,000 pair in my ears.  I can adjust mine using my phone but some fine tuning must be done at the office.

I paid $1500, I think, for mine from Listen Lively. They were helping a lot, but the constant tangle with masks means I’m not wearing them much right now. Things are starting to open up a bit and I have had twice in the last week I regretted not having them in. 
I will give the Bose ones a look next time around. We’ll see what’s going on when it’s time to replace mine. 

• Heart 1

You know the old saying...friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Actually, in spite of the saying, don't think would ever purchase as get them free through the VA. Plus they are top of the line rechargeable units.

• Heart 1

On of my guys lost hearing in one ear due to decompression sickness and has hearing aids now.  He can totally pipe music from his phone into them.  I am pretty sure sometimes when I am talking to him he is listening to music instead of me

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

You know the old saying...friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Actually, in spite of the saying, don't think would ever purchase as get them free through the VA. Plus they are top of the line rechargeable units.

Free hearing aids is a dream.

27 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

On of my guys lost hearing in one ear due to decompression sickness and has hearing aids now.  He can totally pipe music from his phone into them.  I am pretty sure sometimes when I am talking to him he is listening to music instead of me

I do this

• Heart 1

There have been some companies selling hearing aids on the internet.

I was borderline in need of hearing aids several years ago and got $5000 ones where my health paid all but $600. They did Bluetooth, two mics each for direction sensing, and had several settings including one where you could filter out some noise that wasn't coming from in front of you.

I'll have a new test after I'm back in my house.

• Heart 1