If You Are A Triplet Or A Quadruplet Or A Quintuplet Or...

Razors Edge

...any of the larger variations, do you still refer to one of your "matching" siblings as a twin?

For example, just you and one of you matching birthmates are in a store, and you greet someone you know, do you introduce your sibling as one of your twins or something else?

What would @roadsue suggest?

We have good friends who have triplets and they don’t refer to one another as twins.  The parents refer to them as triplets and each of the three boys just say my brother or their name.  

I could never get their names straight so always referred to them as “Barton Boy”.   We actually bumped into one of them at our LGS recently and he said oh hey Mrs ChrisL.  My wife said hello and based on his age figured it was a friend of our son but didn’t know who it was.  He is one of the Barton Boys but not sure which one...

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...any of the larger variations, do you still refer to one of your "matching" siblings as a twin?

For example, just you and one of you matching birthmates are in a store, and you greet someone you know, do you introduce your sibling as one of your twins or something else?

What would @roadsue suggest?

I think twins are horrible, if they come first or are the only spawn.  They have only bad habits and traits to reinforce with each other if that is the case.

If there are older kids in the household, then the twins have more reasonable behaviors to mimic and someone older, other than a parent, to correct them when they are horrible.  

But twins are generally awful from anecdotal experience.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I think twins are horrible, if they come first or are the only spawn.  They have only bad habits and traits to reinforce with each other if that is the case.

If there are older kids in the household, then the twins have more reasonable behaviors to mimic and someone older, other than a parent, to correct them when they are horrible.  

But twins are generally awful from anecdotal experience.

Identical, fraternal, or and & all types?

But yeah, that sort of echo chamber can be tough, and a wee bit creepy.  But there are always some that escape it.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But yeah, that sort of echo chamber can be tough, and a wee bit creepy.  But there are always some that escape it.

My daughter played softball & volley ball with a twin.  These two girls couldn’t be any more different from a personality & likes/dislikes perspective but nearly impossible to tell them apart physically.  

My daughter played with the rough & tumble athletic tom boy twin who later came out as gay.  The other one was the prom Queen girly girl non athletic type and is straight.  

The twins once played a joke on the Softball coach where they dressed the non athletic one up as the  softball playing sister and she went out for practice.  The coach about lost her mind, Molls, WTF is wrong with you today, you forget how to play!?!?  We went about 1/2 through practice before she figured it out.    A bunch of us parents were in on it too and were there which tipped off the coach something was up as we didn’t normally attend a practice. 

I got caught up watching a show on cable (maybe TLC) about this family in Texas that had quintuplet girls.  Apparently two of the five are identical twins, and the other 3 are fraternal.  At one point they mentioned the "twins"  but only in reference to telling the two identical ones apart.  The girls are too young to really call one another anything.

You could refer to them as a quad, a quint, a sext, etc. “My quint brothers,” would make it clear the speaker is one of five. But I’m pretty sure that form of reference is rare. Maybe the pediatrician or a school official.

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All types.  Ex was an identical twin (her twin is horrible), and I have friend that had a boy and girl twin, both awful and both pains in the ass.

8 minutes ago, roadsue said:

You could refer to them as a quad, a quint, a sext, etc. “My quint brothers,” would make it clear the speaker is one of five. But I’m pretty sure that form of reference is rare. Maybe the pediatrician or a school official.

My "quint brother" (singular) sounds off!  I get it if all five are together, but what if just two are together???

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My "quint brother" (singular) sounds off!  I get it if all five are together, but what if just two are together???

It sounds off because it’s rare. Like saying “It is I” when answering someone on the phone who asks “May I speak with roadsue?” It’s correct, but nobody does it, so it sounds off. More likely to hear “Speaking,” “This is me,” or “It’s roadsue speaking.”