How to stop getting mail

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

6 minutes ago, denniS said:

I've been getting someone else's for years now. There is a slot at the PO I shove it in.

He could use a Sharpie, put a big X over the address, and toss it back into a mailbox.  I prefer just trashing it, as "how important could this be" is the question that immediately jumps to mind.  

Keep in mind, there is a reason letters & cards can have a return address.  If it is a personal card/letter, go ahead and write a "return to sender" on it and drop back in the box for the mailman to deal with throw away. 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Move

On my mail box/slot I have "RG only", and on the inside, I have one sign on the bottom that says "RG only" and today I taped up a message that said I am the only occupant, and no one else lives here".

I think the letter carrier doesn't give a crap, and just wants to empty the cart.  I don't know if I would give a crap if I was the letter carrier., so there is that, it isn't a mission or anything.  Recycling does have the "mixed paper" bin, which has received the earlier misdeliveries.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So you have been doing it right all along!

...but don't miss out on the good SWAG that may come along the way.  I used to be seated pretty close to the place our mailman dropped the office mail and would pass it on the way to the bathroom or kitchen.  We were a remote office, so no one really ever got mail - except Amazon stuff - delivered there, BUT the folks before us were a law office and we got their various BS mail and every once in a while some mass mailed gift or promo.  That would sit for a few days until someone grabbed it and opened it to see what it was. If it was good, "finders keepers" was the rule.

• Heart 1

After my aunt died, the woman who purchased her apartment kept getting some mail.  Most of it was junk, but one was a notice about "lost funds" which turned out to be legitimate .  The woman called the executor of the estate (who she knew from the apartment sale) and sent over the letter.  The letter ended up being  thousands of dollars.  So you never know what you can find in the old mail. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

I work part time at the post office.

This one guy keeps putting mail addressed to him back into the outgoing mail slot. :dontknow: 

I figure he made a mistake and accidentally put his mail in with other stuff he wanted to send.  So I take his mail and put it back in with the rest of the stuff going out to him that day.  Sometimes the same piece of mail will come back 4 or 5 times before the guy finally keeps it.

This has been going on for years now. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Sometimes the same piece of mail will come back 4 or 5 times before the guy finally keeps it.

This has been going on for years now. 

Good to see the USPS' "Green Initiatives" are bearing some fruit and you all are fully embracing recycling efforts!  Huzzah!

On 5/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, Randomguy said:

I get mail for people who don't live at my address, but have in the past.  What is the best way to get it stopped?

Return to sender.  I did that for the first few months in my apartment, then began tossing it in the trash unless it looked official.