Are you all maskless now?

Randomguy

CDC says it is all cool to go maskless indoors if you have been vaccinated, which I am.  I anticipate that the stores here are gonna hold off on letting folks do that for a while whilst inside, we still have lots of folks wearing masks outside in NYC.

So how does this work with the tinfoil nutjob's "masks curb your freedoms and masks are the first step in the government controlling everything you do and will have you wearing masks permanently" crowd?  I figure that they will just claim that the microchips implanted during the vaccination will do the job controlling you and curbing your free will.

Do you get the implant with the first jab or the second?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm guessing, and this is just a WAG, that this goes straight into the "disappeared" folder :)

Well, it is a valid question, and it doesn't really pertain to a specific party or entity, so there is nothing yet until we start mentioning Hitler or somesuch.  I am guessing that there will be no collective yokel sentiment saying "Huh, I guess we's all wrong, then.  Sorry 'bout that".

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’ll add that my school has had three cases of covid since April. 

Students or teachers? Vaccinated or unvaccinated? Serious or only spotted due to a test?

I would think, as long as under 16 is unvaccinated, COVID will bounce around among kids.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, I am maskless 99% of my daily life.  I might nip into a store for a few minutes a week, so whatever 30 min/week wearing a mask, 10,050 min/week not wearing one!

I wore it more than that, just grocery shopping and such.  I seem to be unharmed from it.  So far.

We still have to wear them in stores & restaurants when not eating/drinking.  My company still requires them for all essential staff.  But since I’m in an office by my self I only need to wear one when I’m walking about the office or if someone comes to my office to talk to me. 

I keep one in my pocket when walking the dog and keep one in my jersey pocket but don’t wear them unless I bump into a neighbor who wants to talk.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I keep one in my pocket when walking the dog and keep one in my jersey pocket but don’t wear them unless I bump into a neighbor who wants to talk.

...and it is now probably way more likely than not that your neighbor who wants to chat is vaccinated, so even that becomes less time masked.  We still haven't done a sit-down IN a restaurant since this began, but have eaten outside a few times.  I wonder how fast - if ever - restaurants will roll back their outdoor dining.  To me, especially out here, cities should be seriously considering some road and parking diets to allow permanent outdoor patio construction.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and it is now probably way more likely than not that your neighbor who wants to chat is vaccinated, so even that becomes less time masked.  We still haven't done a sit-down IN a restaurant since this began, but have eaten outside a few times.  I wonder how fast - if ever - restaurants will roll back their outdoor dining.  To me, especially out here, cities should be seriously considering some road and parking diets to allow permanent outdoor patio construction.

I have.  The occupancy is down but rebounding a bit, as more people prefer to be outside.  If is fun to perv at the passers-by when seated outside, you see.

It will take longer here for people to forget the masks, seeing that we were hit so hard at the beginning of the hoax.

Just now, petitepedal said:

Someone here came down without a mask this afternoon..our building policy will not change until after the board meeting next week..if then.

So they were kicked out of the building?  Or "policy" will just now be ignored? Or you're buying a SuperSoaker and are not afraid to use it?

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They are doing parklets again this summer here.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-10-at-11.19.57-AM.png

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

One of my neighbors is a board member and wanted to ask our input. I reached in my pocket but she kept at least 6’ at all times so I didn’t bother to mask up.  I think most people get it and aren’t going to get up in your grill. 

We still haven’t eaten in a restaurant yet.  We take out & dine with our vaccinated bubble at home.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

CDC says it is all cool to go maskless indoors if you have been vaccinated, which I am.  I anticipate that the stores here are gonna hold off on letting folks do that for a while whilst inside, we still have lots of folks wearing masks outside in NYC.

So how does this work with the tinfoil nutjob's "masks curb your freedoms and masks are the first step in the government controlling everything you do and will have you wearing masks permanently" crowd?  I figure that they will just claim that the microchips implanted during the vaccination will do the job controlling you and curbing your free will.

Do you get the implant with the first jab or the second?

I got one implant in each arm.  That gives them enough baseline to track me to within inches.

We still have to wear masks indoors in stores and most theaters haven't reopened.  Masks at ballgames too.

I will continue wearing masks as I have been even though I am vaccinated. When everybody stops, I will stop. I was going to get Elon's Neuralink implant but I heard Gertrude, the test subject, went off her diet of people parts. I think I'll wait until they work all the bugs out.

Pigs.jpg?fit=1600,999&ssl=1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

now probably way more likely than not that your neighbor who wants to chat is vaccinated

How do you figure? 47% of the nation has had one vaccine dose, this includes those who never bothered to get the second dose. Only 36% are fully vaccinated, and 53% haven’t gotten a dose. So, while it depends upon your location, it’s actually more likely than not that your neighbor hasn’t been vaccinated. Not that outdoor transmission from a moderate distance is a big risk. But while I understand the CDC’s intent here, I think it will backfire. Few who were resistant will now rush out to get vaccinated. Instead, those who haven’t gotten vaccinated will remove their masks, too. And transmission will surge.  

I was Pfizer-vaccinated (second dose) by the last week of February.

With that said, I still plan to mask indoors in places where masses congregate. Grocery stores. Eateries when not at the table. Etc.

Not for myself; for the comfort of others, so they feel at ease. There's no way they know if I'm vaccinated or not. Why not just be compassionate?

• Heart 4

We are still legally required to wear masks in all public buildings, and no sit in restaurants, only dine in you can do is outside on patios.

These may change next week, I am guessing masks will be required for a long time yet.

6 hours ago, Allen said:

CDC just announced fully vaccinated people can go massless

How are they going to do this, how are they going to know that someone not wearing a mask has had their vaccine?  Just go on the good heartedness of the anti-vaxxers to do the right thing and wear their masks?

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

How are they going to do this, how are they going to know that someone not wearing a mask has had their vaccine?  Just go on the good heartedness of the anti-vaxxers to do the right thing and wear their masks?

Right, they don’t seem like a highly motivated group to continue the mask utilization.

I have been losing the mask at clients where I know it’s ok. I will still mask at clients I don’t know that well. I will still wear in stores. The stores were having a hard time policing the anti maskers anyway. They could stop them at the door but once in, several tore them off. Store employees have apparently decided it wasn’t worth the fight to get them to put the mask back on or at least cover their dick noses. 
I still feel the next week will be an indication of if we are on the right track. Mother’s Day was a week ago. 

Im working in a Indian health clinic.  So I wear the thing 8 hours a day.   I also haven’t had a sniffle since last March.  I will probably continue even after they relax the rules in the Pueblo. 

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So, while it depends upon your location, it’s actually more likely than not that your neighbor hasn’t been vaccinated.

The state I live in and the state I am currently in (and your state) are all above 50% vaccinated with at least one shot.  Likewise, the places within those states and the areas I live (ie neighborhood), in the classic "birds of a feather", are more likely than the state average to be vaccinated.  I think this likely applies to most of us, as the demographic data shows different parts of the population being vaccinated at different rates.  If you assume certain things about my or ChrisL's (or your) specific location, you definitely will come to the likely assumption that your neighbor is also vaccinated.

Again, I can only go on guesswork for it, but in my family, my mom and all siblings and spouses have been vaccinated.  At work, all my co-workers have been vaccinated (not sure about spouses, but some got it very early due to jobs), and here, many - if not most - have been vaccinated.  IOW, we generally are in a "bubble(s)", and my bubbles are fairly well vaccinated as a whole.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Oh, good news CDC.  That should be about June for Wonderboys version of Canada.

June 2023.

Yeah, you folks seems slow to get vaccinated.  June 2023 might be attainable!  But really, you're at a point the US was a month or so ago.  With luck, we open our borders and you all can come down here and scoop up some of our vaccines?

11 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Not for myself; for the comfort of others, so they feel at ease. There's no way they know if I'm vaccinated or not. Why not just be compassionate?

Yeah, that's a WWJD sort of thing, not a "what would regular folks do" sort of thing.  It is why, I think, many national businesses will keep masking in effect for a bit longer. They know many folks won't make that extra effort of wearing a mask just for other people's sake. 

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But while I understand the CDC’s intent here, I think it will backfire. Few who were resistant will now rush out to get vaccinated. Instead, those who haven’t gotten vaccinated will remove their masks, too. And transmission will surge.  

I remain cautiously optimistic in that any surge, with progressively lower sizes of populations to spread to, will be small.  I do worry about variants, but 1) those are going to happen because of external events in places like India and less likely here, and 2) we can potentially be tweaking/developing boosters to address those as they are identified.  

I work at home for now, and don't go a lot of places at the moment, so it's not that big of a question.  NY hasn't changed its regulations yet, and I' expect most stores will still require it since they have no idea who is vaccinated and who isn't.  I'll wear one because I don't want to make the life of some poor grocery clerk charged with monitoring the situation any harder than it has to be.

• Awesome 1

Ok, more news on the nutjobs...

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated

An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance.

TORONTO, CA
May 11, 2021, 10:08am
  •  

A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable: wear a mask and keep their distance.

The conspiracy—which comes in several shapes and sizes—more or less says the vaccinated will “shed” certain proteins onto the unvaccinated who will then suffer adverse effects. The main worry is the “shedding” will cause irregular menstruation, infertility, and miscarriages. The entirely baseless idea is a key cog in a larger conspiracy that COVID-19 was a ploy to depopulate the world, and the vaccine is what will cull the masses. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Experts say the conspiracy is born from a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. It has been widely debunked and you can read about it here, here, and here, among other places.  

Anti-vax influencers are instructing their fellow anti-vaxxers as well as anti-maskers (at this point the two communities overlap to a huge degree) that one of the best ways to defend themselves from this blight is to co-opt…social distancing, the very strategy they have long decried. 

Sherri Tenpenny, an anti-vaxxer who was found to be key in spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories, suggested on a recent anti-vax livestream that you may have to “stay away from somebody who's had these shots…forever.” 

Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer,  on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.

It’s not just social distancing that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?” 

“I am going to be watching these vaccine shedding stories like a hawk,” wrote another man on Twitter. “Is my family going to need to wear masks to protect ourselves from the vaccinated?”

While the conspiracy is baseless, the fear it is causing vaccine skeptics is very real. And where there is a fear, there’s money to be made. 

In a recent livestream appearance with a Canadian sovereign citizen, Judy Mikovits—one of the leading anti-vax celebrities and the key figure in the conspiracy film “Plandemic”—spoke in-depth about the conspiracy. Mikovits told a story about how she was kicked off a plane for wearing a colloidal silver mask—colloidal silver being a supplement long championed by the anti-vax and holistic crowd—to defend herself from airborne viruses.  

“Why do you think they pulled me off the plane with the silver mask?” said Mikovits. “Because I'm not going to get sick, folks. I'm not going to get sick.” 

The implication is these are the only masks that will work for not just viruses like COVID-19 but also the shedding. Thankfully, the masks are available from online holistic stores, of course. 

Drew, an anti-fascist researcher who first tweeted about Mikovits’ stance on masks, told VICE World News he doesn’t think the masks will catch on among the anti-maskers. 

"Rhetoric over the past year like ‘my body, my choice,’ ‘facts over fear,’ ‘take off the muzzle’ are going to look silly if they do (wear masks),” said Drew, who didn’t want his last name to be used out of fear of reprisaNevertheless, the conspiracy is picking up steam.

Recently a private school in Miami went so far as to ban vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students. In April, a Gold Shop in Kelowna, British Columbia, caused a stir when the owners put up a sign saying the vaccinated were banned from entering the store, citing worries about vaccine shedding. The store also had a sign that masking was not allowed and instructed customers to “lower their face diaper.” 

The community is still attempting to figure out how to deal with “vaccine shedding” so, to be clear, not every anti-masker is endorsing masking. 

“The mask won't save people from this, either. So if you're thinking you're just going to walk around with a mask on around your vaccinated friends and family members, it's the same as walking around with one for COVID,” said one woman during a YouTube roundup for anti-vaxxers who purported to be Canadian nurses. “It's going right through.”

Natural News, an anti-vaccination conspiracy site that was banned from Facebook for spreading misinformation, is reporting hard on the shedding. In one article, a blogger wrote “a mask is useless to protect against spike protein transmission.” 

The website instead advises that the only thing that may save them is a “pine needle tea.”

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, more news on the nutjobs...

Anti-Maskers Ready to Start Masking—to Protect Themselves From the Vaccinated

An anti-vaccine conspiracy about the vaccinated are leading some anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers to contemplate wearing a mask and social distance.

TORONTO, CA
May 11, 2021, 10:08am
  •  

A conspiracy ripping through the anti-vax world may finally drive some anti-maskers to do the unthinkable: wear a mask and keep their distance.

The conspiracy—which comes in several shapes and sizes—more or less says the vaccinated will “shed” certain proteins onto the unvaccinated who will then suffer adverse effects. The main worry is the “shedding” will cause irregular menstruation, infertility, and miscarriages. The entirely baseless idea is a key cog in a larger conspiracy that COVID-19 was a ploy to depopulate the world, and the vaccine is what will cull the masses. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Experts say the conspiracy is born from a fundamental misunderstanding of how vaccines work. It has been widely debunked and you can read about it here, here, and here, among other places.  

Anti-vax influencers are instructing their fellow anti-vaxxers as well as anti-maskers (at this point the two communities overlap to a huge degree) that one of the best ways to defend themselves from this blight is to co-opt…social distancing, the very strategy they have long decried. 

Sherri Tenpenny, an anti-vaxxer who was found to be key in spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories, suggested on a recent anti-vax livestream that you may have to “stay away from somebody who's had these shots…forever.” 

Another prominent anti-vaxxer suggested quarantining people who have been vaccinated. “There is something being passed from people who are shot up with this poison to others who have not gotten the shot,” said Larry Palevsky, a New York pediatrician and anti-vaxxer,  on a separate livestream. They should also “have a badge on their arms that say ‘I've been vaccinated even though it's not a vaccine’ so that we know to avoid them on the street, to not go near them anywhere in society,” he said.

It’s not just social distancing that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers are begrudgingly accepting. Some conspiracy theorists are wondering if perhaps their longtime bane, the mask, could become their salvation. One perplexed poster on the fringe site 4chan asked their fellow anons if they should “wear a mask around the vaccinated, because they shed the mRNA stuff?” 

“I am going to be watching these vaccine shedding stories like a hawk,” wrote another man on Twitter. “Is my family going to need to wear masks to protect ourselves from the vaccinated?”

While the conspiracy is baseless, the fear it is causing vaccine skeptics is very real. And where there is a fear, there’s money to be made. 

In a recent livestream appearance with a Canadian sovereign citizen, Judy Mikovits—one of the leading anti-vax celebrities and the key figure in the conspiracy film “Plandemic”—spoke in-depth about the conspiracy. Mikovits told a story about how she was kicked off a plane for wearing a colloidal silver mask—colloidal silver being a supplement long championed by the anti-vax and holistic crowd—to defend herself from airborne viruses.  

“Why do you think they pulled me off the plane with the silver mask?” said Mikovits. “Because I'm not going to get sick, folks. I'm not going to get sick.” 

The implication is these are the only masks that will work for not just viruses like COVID-19 but also the shedding. Thankfully, the masks are available from online holistic stores, of course. 

Drew, an anti-fascist researcher who first tweeted about Mikovits’ stance on masks, told VICE World News he doesn’t think the masks will catch on among the anti-maskers. 

"Rhetoric over the past year like ‘my body, my choice,’ ‘facts over fear,’ ‘take off the muzzle’ are going to look silly if they do (wear masks),” said Drew, who didn’t want his last name to be used out of fear of reprisaNevertheless, the conspiracy is picking up steam.

Recently a private school in Miami went so far as to ban vaccinated teachers from interacting with unvaccinated students. In April, a Gold Shop in Kelowna, British Columbia, caused a stir when the owners put up a sign saying the vaccinated were banned from entering the store, citing worries about vaccine shedding. The store also had a sign that masking was not allowed and instructed customers to “lower their face diaper.” 

The community is still attempting to figure out how to deal with “vaccine shedding” so, to be clear, not every anti-masker is endorsing masking. 

“The mask won't save people from this, either. So if you're thinking you're just going to walk around with a mask on around your vaccinated friends and family members, it's the same as walking around with one for COVID,” said one woman during a YouTube roundup for anti-vaxxers who purported to be Canadian nurses. “It's going right through.”

Natural News, an anti-vaccination conspiracy site that was banned from Facebook for spreading misinformation, is reporting hard on the shedding. In one article, a blogger wrote “a mask is useless to protect against spike protein transmission.” 

The website instead advises that the only thing that may save them is a “pine needle tea.”

Hard to find anything to disagree with in there!  FTR, "pine needle tea" is almost on par with coffee as the GREATEST HEALTH FOOD OF ALL TIME <- caps emphasize the greatness!

My next door neighbor told me he's very glad there is a mask mandate.  He's had a bunch of surgeries on his teeth and they won;'t be fixed completely for some time, so the mask helps him feel less self-conscious.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

IOW, we generally are in a "bubble(s)", and my bubbles are fairly well vaccinated as a whole.

I know my friends and family are, I know most of my coworkers are, but that is the end of where I feel comfortable in my knowledge regarding vaccination status.  I will assume one of my neighbors is, based on their age and smoking status, but have no idea about my others. Fortunately, I don’t ever see any of my neighbors.

• Haha 1

Anti-vaxxers would tell store owners, bars, etc. that they've been vaccinated so I think it's going to be a while before the responsible states remove the masks-indoors laws.  There has been no law in Maryland requiring a mask on lightly occupied trails, etc. since the beginning of the pandemic and I haven't worn a mask because it's easy to social distance.  Still I wear my "I've been COVID vaccinated" badge when I'm on the trails to put at ease any of the people, about 1 in ever 4 or 5, that wears a mask on the trails.

In Maryland we've already had no-masks-required-but-advised outdoors for a month as well as no seating limitations in restaurants.  Still, Maryland's daily case rate has dropped to 7.6 per 100,000 population, the lowest in the state since July, 2020, and lower than the 10.2 avg. for the USA.  Maryland has the 10th highest % of population fully vaccinated at 41%, and that's also helping along with both major parties united on vaccinations and masks and social distancing