Quote of the Day: Hosea Ballou

Inspiration Bot

9 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"Real happiness is cheap enough, yet how dearly we pay for its counterfeit."

This guy needs to write a book! Or at least a pamphlet on how to identify "cheap" happiness.  I do find many of the best things are "free" or cheap - ie bike rides, mountains, the ocean, sunsets, etc., but there are real costs to taking bikes rides, living/hiking in the mountains, visiting the ocean, and/or finding time to catch a sunset.  That's sort of why retirement is so enticing to many - the time and circumstances to enjoy the "free" or "cheap" stuff - but in reality, many will have pre-paid for those through decades of work.  What's a favorite here? TANSTAAFL?   Pay me now or pay me later :)

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

But I can find happiness in this moment, right now. 

Yep.  But also can find "its counterfeit" in the moment and for cheap.  I'm thinking happiness and its counterfeit both have varying degrees of cost. Real happiness, though, is worth the cost - whatever it may be - while the other is a crappy deal every time.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  But also can find "its counterfeit" in the moment and for cheap.  I'm thinking happiness and its counterfeit both have varying degrees of cost. Real happiness, though, is worth the cost - whatever it may be - while the other is a crappy deal every time.

Chores are often thing I do not look forward to doing. My wife and I are hosting an event this evening and I wanted to ensure things were in order.

Mowing was on the list for yesterday evening. So, I got home, changed and set to the task.  2.5 hours later, it was done, I felt good and realized that I actually enjoyed the task. I sat on my deck afterward, drinking a beer, talking with my wife and realized how thankful and content I was in the moment. 

Happiness in the business of living.