Wrecked this morning (graphic]

goldendesign

4 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

No head injuries, thankfully minor chipping on the end of the bone.

Surgeon says I'll either lose a bit of flesh from the tip or the first joint.

Bike is unknown, good samaritan that called the ambulance put it in his garage and called my wife from the garmin crash notice. Told her it's there and we can get it whenever we're able. 

Glad to know there are still good people in the world.  Hope you heal well.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, smudge said:

Jesus! If you wanted meatball surgery.... 

Wait, are you in a third world country??

It was torn off, kinda hard to put it back right away cleanly. 

The surgeon says this is to hope the meat heals together and then we see what could heal and what needs amputation. 

Bikes probably fairly fucked. The good samaritan sent me a photo. My helmet is trash, the carbon fork is shredded and the front wheel is missing a good amount of spokes. 

All in all, as good of outcome as I could ask for. Worst case, I lose the thumb to the knuckle and the bike. Best, bike needs parts and thumb is a bit shorter than previous. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 4

3 hours ago, smudge said:

Jesus! If you wanted meatball surgery.... 

Wait, are you in a third world country??

Should have gone to a vet. It might have come out in better shape!

That's what I was gonna say!  :D

Glad you're relatively OK.  Now, HOW'S THE BIKE?

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

It was torn off, kinda hard to put it back right away cleanly. 

The surgeon says this is to hope the meat heals together and then we see what could heal and what needs amputation. 

Bikes probably fairly fucked. The good samaritan sent me a photo. My helmet is trash, the carbon fork is shredded and the front wheel is missing a good amount of spokes. 

All in all, as good of outcome as I could ask for. Worst case, I lose the thumb to the knuckle and the bike. Best, bike needs parts and thumb is a bit shorter than previous. 

I hope it heals up well enough to not lose too much.  Fair warning.  If it stays it's going to hurt like hell in the winter.  I know this.  Get better, 

Two thumbs up.

• Heart 1

I almost sliced two fingers off around 2000, was lucky to move my hand away just in time to avoid deep damage but got about 9 stitches in each finger. While I was in the OR, a guy came in with either part of a finger or toe on ice and I had to wait while the surgeon reattached the digit before he could finish stitching me up.

Hope you thumb heals...    That looks like it will take a while to heal.  

7 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Coming down the MUT, my front end got real loose and clicky. Bike shifted left suddenly, putting me right into the anti car pole at 17mph.

Rim brakes?    Something got loose??   The spokes were hitting something and then locked up the wheel.  You do an endo.   

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

When do you see the doctor again?

I see the hand surgeon on Thursday, unless something turns blue or few other gangrene warning signs. 

Turns out the good samaritan is a bike wrench, works at a lbs, with a twisted sense of humor! The wreckage he sent me was from another bike. I gave him a box of chocolate and a $100 gift card to the local fish restaurant. 

The front is remarkably in ok shape. The rim's trash and scratches on the fork might be suspect, I'll probably just replace it to be safe. His best guess is an over tensioned spoke or two popped and warped the wheel. I would have probably just high sided if that pole wasn't there to cushion my fall.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I see the hand surgeon on Thursday, unless something turns blue or few other gangrene warning signs. 

Turns out the good samaritan is a bike wrench, works at a lbs, with a twisted sense of humor! The wreckage he sent me was from another bike. I gave him a box of chocolate and a $100 gift card to the local fish restaurant. 

The front is remarkably in ok shape. The rim's trash and scratches on the fork might be suspect, I'll probably just replace it to be safe. His best guess is an over tensioned spoke or two popped and warped the wheel. I would have probably just high sided if that pole wasn't there to cushion my fall.

Laughing is good at a time like this. You are going to be stiff and sore tomorrow is my bet.