Jump to content

Les Schwab and $1100 later


Dottles
 Share

Recommended Posts



47 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm getting 4 struts replaced this morning.  It was a $1100 quote.  I"ll bet @BR46 could do me better.

I would have only replaced 3...the passenger will just have move around to counter balance 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

F Les schwab. I hate them with a passion. If your wife had taken it in she would have got the struts, a new alternators, ball joints & new brakes & rotors. They are a very sexist org.  Their slogan? Doing the right things since 1954. I had some chains from them. Never opened. WoScrapr bought them. They tried to scare her into a bunch of other stuff at the time. I warned her ahead of time what was coming so she was prepared. Anyway after about 7 or 8 years I go to return them. Not in the system. Sorry no refund. Chains are in their bag & still in the plastic wrap inside. 

 

F Les & the horse he rode in on

*there is a lot more sheot they have pulled with me but this was just the latest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

F Les schwab. I hate them with a passion. If your wife had taken it in she would have got the struts, a new alternators, ball joints & new brakes & rotors. They are a very sexist org.  Their slogan? Doing the right things since 1954. I had some chains from them. Never opened. WoScrapr bought them. They tried to scare her into a bunch of other stuff at the time. I warned her ahead of time what was coming so she was prepared. Anyway after about 7 or 8 years I go to return them. Not in the system. Sorry no refund. Chains are in their bag & still in the plastic wrap inside. 

 

F Les & the horse he rode in on

*there is a lot more sheot they have pulled with me but this was just the latest

I see that with a lot of shops and yet they never try that shit on me... 

I actually feel bad for the sleaze bag shop guys when my wife goes in.  Uh Mrs ChrisL you need a new alternator & tires. Just change my oil!  Yes but... OIL, CHANGE THE FUCKING OIL!!!

Yes mam... 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New tires. New struts. New side mirrors. New windshield wiper motor, and soon new taillight and front headlights as well as a new bumper and repaired fender. 60,000 miles on a 2002 Avalon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

New tires. New struts. New side mirrors. New windshield wiper motor, and soon new taillight and front headlights as well as a new bumper and repaired fender. 60,000 miles on a 2002 Avalon. 

And you just took it in for an oil change, right? 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

And you just took it in for an oil change, right? 

Oh and the oil change and alignment and transmission error sensor. I'm hoping it goes another ten years. For a 20 year old car, it sure does drive nice. It's like a new car. A 6-cylinder though so I'm destroying the environment, or should I say the gas cost to operate it will destroy me. But damn they're fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

New tires. New struts. New side mirrors. New windshield wiper motor, and soon new taillight and front headlights as well as a new bumper and repaired fender. 60,000 miles on a 2002 Avalon. 

You need to find an independent mechanic.  Around here there are small 2 and 3 man garages all over the place.  The good ones have been in business for decades.  Or you can pay now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You need to find an independent mechanic.  Around here there are small 2 and 3 man garages all over the place.  The good ones have been in business for decades.  Or you can pay now.

I have a great independent mechanic. There is reasoning to my madness I'd rather not get into here.  It's observant you caught this but it's also by design.  PM me if interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to a local shop (their choice) to install. Mrs. Further took the car in. The mechanic came out to the waiting area with a really worried, concerned look on his face, and explained to Mrs. Further that her hubs needed polished, he'd never seen worse hubs. Mrs. Further looked at at him and asked if he was fucking serious, the guy got kind of sheepish and went and put the tires on.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I have a great independent mechanic. There is reasoning to my madness I'd rather not get into here.  It's observant you caught this but it's also by design.  PM me if interested.

Lifetime guarantee 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Further said:

I bought tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to a local shop (their choice) to install. Mrs. Further took the car in. The mechanic came out to the waiting area with a really worried, concerned look on his face, and explained to Mrs. Further that her hubs needed polished, he'd never seen worse hubs. Mrs. Further looked at at him and asked if he was fucking serious, the guy got kind of sheepish and went and put the tires on.

It would’ve been great if she said I’m sorry only my husband gets to polish my hubs

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having an older car w/ new struts is pretty rad.  I understand all 4 of the ones replaced were leaking.  Shocker.  Get it!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Having an older car w/ new struts is pretty rad.  I understand all 4 of the ones replaced were leaking.  Shocker.  Get it!?

I had a Nissan Maxima that ran like a champ even though it was 12 years old & 130+ K miles.  My wife really didn’t want to unload it yet as it ran so well.  I was driving it on the freeway, hit a bump at speed and ended up a lane over from where I started!?!?!!  Uh yeah time for new struts!

Yeah I get it, it made a huge difference on that car.  We ended up keeping it another couple of years too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I had a Nissan Maxima that ran like a champ even though it was 12 years old & 130+ K miles.  My wife really didn’t want to unload it yet as it ran so well.  I was driving it on the freeway, hit a bump at speed and ended up a lane over from where I started!?!?!!  Uh yeah time for new struts!

Yeah I get it, it made a huge difference on that car.  We ended up keeping it another couple of years too.

Wow!  Seriously, a whole other lane?  Anyway, the make the car feel almost new-ish.  Engine should go forever as it only has 60,000 miles on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dottles said:

Wow!  Seriously, a whole other lane?  Anyway, the make the car feel almost new-ish.  Engine should go forever as it only has 60,000 miles on it.

Yeah my wife was driving it, not me and never went anywhere far. I was driving another car to work daily as I didn’t trust it on a 80 mile round trip commute. 

I switched cars for some reason and noticed it was spongy but the freeway incident scared the sheot outta me so I took it in for struts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 2:35 PM, Dottles said:

New tires. New struts. New side mirrors. New windshield wiper motor, and soon new taillight and front headlights as well as a new bumper and repaired fender. 60,000 miles on a 2002 Avalon. 

Do struts wear out from other things besides mileage/use?  At 150k miles, I haven't touched the struts on my car, but maybe I should :scratchhead:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do struts wear out from other things besides mileage/use?  At 150k miles, I haven't touched the struts on my car, but maybe I should :scratchhead:

I suspect my siblings beat the hell out of this car. You should be good unless you know my immediate family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 8:23 PM, Further said:

explained to Mrs. Further that her hubs needed polished

I would have played dumb (easy for me to do) and asked them to give me a written estimate.  If they were foolish enough to give it to me, I would have sent it in to the state agency that regulates motor vehicle inspection and repair stations, just to make life interesting for the shop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Do struts wear out from other things besides mileage/use?  At 150k miles, I haven't touched the struts on my car, but maybe I should :scratchhead:

Suspension wear is directly related to use, smooth roads and a gentle driver the shocks and such will last a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...