Pinkie Finger. Ring Finger. Middle Finger. Index Finger. Thumb???

Razors Edge

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Does anyone (besides @roadsue ) say "thumb finger"?  Seems strange the others generally (pinkie is 50/50) have to be said as a whole, but the thumb survives with just half a full name.

And here I was complimentary of you in the RE appreciation thread. 🥺

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Does anyone (besides @roadsue ) say "thumb finger"?  Seems strange the others generally (pinkie is 50/50) have to be said as a whole, but the thumb survives with just half a full name.

I think it's because the thumb doesn't operate much like the fingers. A human finger has three independent parts (unless damaged) and fingers can't oppose each other. A thumb's third independent part is hidden under the palm and it opposes each of the fingers.

On the other hand, the "Big toe" acts much like the other toes.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I have a picture around somewhere of the hatchet that almost took of my finger.  Did they beef up your finger?  Or did it grow back itself?

Mine was sown back on by someone who had some button thread and a needle.  It became infected and for a while I thought the navy would get the finger.

It seems there was enough blood flow to make it viable although the nerves were all f'd up after that.

3 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Fräulein, ein a biere, bitte.

Be careful...holding up pointing finger means "Two (Zwie)" while holding up the thumb means "One (Ein)" Found out the hard way...ordered (and received) one, bill was for two.

Europeans are an odd lot, but TWO beers is fine.  Not a bad error even if it was meant to be ein Mass and you got zwei Mass!

We really ought to have an option for an Eszett!  Maß  looks COOL!

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Europeans are an odd lot, but TWO beers is fine.  Not a bad error even if it was meant to be ein Mass and you got zwei Mass!

True, but I was director of an alcohol treatment center attending conference in Germany with subordinate staff who were recovering alcoholics. While they were at the point of tolerance of others as they socialized while personally abstaining...they also kept count and as senior, I had to set an example. Two was OK...but they began to give feedback at three.

23 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

True, but I was director of an alcohol treatment center attending conference in Germany with subordinate staff who were recovering alcoholics. While they were at the point of tolerance of others as they socialized while personally abstaining...they also kept count and as senior, I had to set an example. Two was OK...but they began to give feedback at three.

:)

Two Maß would have me sleeping on the floor!

25 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have always thought that the thumb is not a finger.  I have four fingers and an opposing thumb. 

What do you call the nail on the thumb?  It is called a thumbnail, not a fingernail.

So you can only count to 18 using your fingers and toes?  Seems reasonable!