What Is This Cutie?

Razors Edge

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have them but egrets are much larger.  These stand maybe 12-18 inches.   The bird he notes are fairly common in inshore regions of SoCal but I don’t know what they are called.   

Yep - sort of like white but smaller herons.  Not sure what they are - herons? egrets? 

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have them but egrets are much larger.  These stand maybe 12-18 inches.   The bird he notes are fairly common in inshore regions of SoCal but I don’t know what they are called.   

Snowy egrets are much smaller than great egrets.  18-22 inches.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/how-to-identify-white-herons-excerpt-from-better-birding-book/

It looks like photos of snowy egrets right down to the yellowish mark between the bill and the eye which isn't easy to see in the orig. picture, but I lightened and saturated it with Paintshop Pro: and also note the hairlike feather extensions.  But I'm not sure if the neck's right.

image.png.d14ad5e1bf0265eea6e51376a6e7fed8.png  image.png.54ad9ff063c9ccdf028aa5f9b5bd9c70.png

Stock Picture:

image.png.bf9af27ea2effb78bff9af1c65072f91.png

• Awesome 1

Just now, MickinMD said:

It looks like photos of snowy egrets right down to the yellowish mark between the bill and the eye which isn't easy to see in the orig. picture, but I lightened and saturated it with Paintshop Pro: and also note the hairlike feather extensions.  But I'm not sure if the neck's right.

image.png.d14ad5e1bf0265eea6e51376a6e7fed8.png  image.png.54ad9ff063c9ccdf028aa5f9b5bd9c70.png

Stock Picture:

Yeah - even the little tufts of feathers are there in the stock photo you post.

Snowy Egret is surely the right answer!

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

It's an egret for sure.  The black beak means it's probably a snowy egret.  Could be a Simulation Egret though.

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Stock Picture:

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - even the little tufts of feathers are there in the stock photo you post.

Snowy Egret is surely the right answer!

Do ya'll ever get tired of me being right all the damn time?!

Yeah, me neither! 

• Heart 1