And as the bell rang to end the last Friday of the school year,

MoseySusan

38 minutes ago, roadsue said:

and the last Friday of my teaching career, my supervisor called me on the phone.

He sang the chorus to "We are the Champions," by Queen. 

Let me explain. Yesterday I submitted the End-of-Year Reflection in my teacher evaluation portfolio. The last question is "What else would you like to say about this school year? [Optional]"

So, I posted the lyrics to the song "We are the Champions." You'll recall, it goes like this...

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through
And we mean to go on and on and on and on

I found it a fitting close to a remarkable school year and a remarkable career. My supervisor agreed. 
And so he called me as the bell rang to end the last Friday of the school year and the last Friday of my teaching career to sing the chorus of We are the Champions.

Congratulations!  I hope you enjoy an active retirement.

That's similar to the end of the first year I taught school.  Former teachers of mine had gotten me, grad. degreed in Chemistry but no teaching certificate (2 years later from night/summer college classes), a teaching job where a helpful personnel manager cobbled together a full-time position where I taught in the morning at a high school and the afternoon at a middle school in a different district in our countywide school system.

People who teach middle school should get combat pay and, by the end of the school year I had gratefully secured a teaching position in chemistry and math for the next year at the high school from which I had graduated - again, former teachers helping me.

So, the award I got from the middle school faculty, happy for me landing a one-school position, was the Johnny Paycheck album featuring, "Take this job and shove it."

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

Congratulations! Tomorrow morning, make yourself a latte and relax on the patio like you REALLY mean it! If you feel particularly ambitious, go out front and tell the road runners to get the hell off the lawn! 

I would hold off on this sort of thing until Monday AM!  

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Congratulations!  I was sort of hoping they had made t-shirts to commemorate the day.  :nodhead:

My department gave me a Nambe silver tray. The district will probably commemorate with a glass mirrored trinket box. They used to give Nambe silver to teachers at 25 years, but changed to the boxes at retirement. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Congrats Roadsue.  I tip my hat to you.  As someone who has been married to a teacher who worked 18 years in the classroom, and has a brother who retired from a 30 year teaching career two weeks ago, I know the passion and effort and time teachers put in year in and year out.  You are one of a special breed, I salute you.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

19 hours ago, groupw said:

Congratulations! Tomorrow morning, make yourself a latte and relax on the patio like you REALLY mean it! If you feel particularly ambitious, go out front and tell the road runners to get the hell off the lawn! 

I did. The roadrunners were nonplussed. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Take the summer off. Then research local community writing circles to either join or learn how it’s done so that I can start one. 

When do you start on the Nomadland van? Those cranes aren’t going to watch themselves....

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

When do you start on the Nomadland van? Those cranes aren’t going to watch themselves....

mr. swiped left on the RV. He’s content to tour in our Odyssey and tent camp with some hotel stays. Cranes are on the list, along with fall in New England, and Canon Beach and the Oregon coast. 

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

mr. swiped left on the RV. He’s content to tour in our Odyssey and tent camp with some hotel stays. Cranes are on the list, along with fall in New England, and Canon Beach and the Oregon coast. 

You have a place to stay if you come to see the cranes. But do it soon! Not sure how much longer we will be here!

20 hours ago, roadsue said:

I have finals next week, then I turn in my keys. 

Congratulations...   Yeah I remember turning in my keys, laptop, ID/access card, after 40 years, 2 months and 12 days.   

How long was your career?   

Any plans after your vacation?  New job, volunteering, or our plan of doing what we want each day.  (which has been limited over the last 12 month)

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Where are you going? Apologies if I missed the info previously.

We’d like to go to the PHX area. The girls are down there. Winters get less fun each year. We have a good life up here, but just feel it’s time to do something different while we still can.