@LongJohn’s thread to keep us in the loop

Airehead

They didn’t do much explaining like they always did for Esther. I guess I go in the chemo room chair #5 every Friday morning for four weeks and get infused. They might not have explained it because they all know me because I accompanied Esther for over twenty years. With her they always started with IV bags of pre-meds to help you withstand the side effects of the chemo. Then they start the chemo drip. It took about four hours for Esther but I’m thinking mine will be quicker.

• Hugs 4

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Just came from my cardiologist. She said my heart has healed up remarkably well. I must be doing something right. She cut the dosage of my beta blocker in half. Told me to keep riding my bike.

Now if I can just get this leukemia under control.

One hurdle at a time, but nice to see you doing better heart-wise.  Big hearts are strong :cheerleader:

• Heart 2

43 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Just came from my cardiologist. She said my heart has healed up remarkably well. I must be doing something right. She cut the dosage of my beta blocker in half. Told me to keep riding my bike.

Now if I can just get this leukemia under control.

You Da Man

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

This drug 8B7EF923-8782-4A21-B25F-7D9244DD531E.jpeg.2f030373631fc80782d7b8416a673188.jpeghas a fewside effects 

Owl never forget when I sat down at the oral surgeon's to have my wisdom teeth extracted and was presented with all the things that could go wrong.  I see why they wait until you are in the chair to tell you aboot all this.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

At least you got a room with a view. 

I did and I had a bird feeder right outside my window. And a private nurse that took care of me all day. I was the only one in the pod (a room with four infusion lounges) that was there all day. There were four people that came and had blood drawn. About ten minutes and they were gone.

I'm a little wobbly this morning. I had to hang on to the kitchen counter when I made my tea and cream of wheat. I stayed as far away from the stairs as I could. I don’t need to be falling down the stairs.

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I did and I had a bird feeder right outside my window. And a private nurse that took care of me all day. I was the only one in the pod (a room with four infusion lounges) that was there all day. There were four people that came and had blood drawn. About ten minutes and they were gone.

I'm a little wobbly this morning. I had to hang on to the kitchen counter when I made my tea and cream of wheat. I stayed as far away from the stairs as I could. I don’t need to be falling down the stairs.

It is way better to fall up the stairs.  I speak from experience. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Whelp chemotherapy isn’t for sissies. Today I feel like I was shot at and missed and shit at and hit. I got up at seven and went back to bed at nine. I’m not going to ride my bike today. I might have to get my brother to take me next week, the drive home was bad.

Do your best to keep your weight stable.

I took my mother for chemotherapy back in 2002-3, she had it twice a week.

The experts at Johns Hopkins said that it was important to keep her weight up.  She was prescribed an appetite enhancing med and also Iron supplements.  Since my sister was a Senior Clinical Cancer Nurse there, mom got the royal treatment.

The day after chemo mom had little appetite, so I or my sister did some home-cooked stuff or I would stop somewhere like a sub shop and get a Philly Cheesesteak and a Cold Cut or Panera Bread and get all four of the soups they had for sale, take them to mom, and tell her I was going to stay until she ate one of them. She'd scold me and reply, "I'm YOUR mother! I'll tell YOU when I'm going to eat!"

But I stuck to my guns and made sure she ate.

The next day she always felt better and always finished off the stuff I'd bring.

She was able to maintain her weight and that helped keep her energy at a good level.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Do your best to keep your weight stable.

I took my mother for chemotherapy back in 2002-3, she had it twice a week.

The experts at Johns Hopkins said that it was important to keep her weight up.  She was prescribed an appetite enhancing med and also Iron supplements.  Since my sister was a Senior Clinical Cancer Nurse there, mom got the royal treatment.

The day after chemo mom had little appetite, so I or my sister did some home-cooked stuff or I would stop somewhere like a sub shop and get a Philly Cheesesteak and a Cold Cut or Panera Bread and get all four of the soups they had for sale, take them to mom, and tell her I was going to stay until she ate one of them. She'd scold me and reply, "I'm YOUR mother! I'll tell YOU when I'm going to eat!"

But I stuck to my guns and made sure she ate.

The next day she always felt better and always finished off the stuff I'd bring.

She was able to maintain her weight and that helped keep her energy at a good level.

I was reading my booklet they gave me when I started my chemo. It said to eat a lot of small meals. If I eat a large meal it will probably come back up. I have some fresh tomatoes, I think I’ll make myself a tomato sandwich right now and then go back to bed.

i forgot to hit send. Tomato sandwich didn’t taste good at all. I ate it anyway. I had one before I started chemo that was really good. It must be the chemicals in my system. I also ate a fresh peach, it was really good.

My instructions book say whenever I use the toilet to have the exhaust fan running and close the lid before I flush. That goes for anything I do in the toilet.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I was reading my booklet they gave me when I started my chemo. It said to eat a lot of small meals. If I eat a large meal it will probably come back up. I have some fresh tomatoes, I think I’ll make myself a tomato sandwich right now and then go back to bed.

i forgot to hit send. Tomato sandwich didn’t taste good at all. I ate it anyway. I had one before I started chemo that was really good. It must be the chemicals in my system. I also ate a fresh peach, it was really good.

My instructions book say whenever I use the toilet to have the exhaust fan running and close the lid before I flush. That goes for anything I do in the toilet.

Yes.  You do not want to aerosol the chemo chemicals back into the air.

Get used to being cold.  Lots of things will do that too you now.

• Sad 1