@LongJohn’s thread to keep us in the loop

Airehead

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Hang in there LJ!  I hope your bone marrow's non-blood-cell production is a temporary thing.  There have been a lot of gains in research on activating bone marrow - my sister was strongly involved in oncology at Johns Hopkins for years.

My doctor says I am on the anemic side (low blood cell count) and if it gets worse over the coming years, a bone marrow transplant may be a possible option.  The most common form of anemia is iron deficiency, which is easily curable.    

• Heart 2

It's good to hear you are in a place where you can get checked out and hopefully sorted out soon.  I hate that everything just takes so long to sort, but hopefully, being the start of a new week, the regular staff will kick into gear and get things sorted faster than a slimmed down weekend shift.

• Heart 1

A bone marrow transplant, if necessary, has a much better-than-even chance of working for most people today.

When my sister did her candy striper requirements for U of MD School of Nursing around 1980, she was assigned to the Oncology ward at Johns Hopkins and acepted a job offer there after graduation.  At that time, bone marrow transplants were curing only 1 out of every 7 patients.  Since she worked mostly with kids, it was agonizing.

Later, she became the hospital's Bone Marrow Transplant Coordinator, got her Master's in Nursing at night at Johns Hopkins U, then became Master Nurse and Senior Asst. to the Hospital's head of research.  By the time she retired in 2020, better than 3 of every 4 bone marrow transplants were successful - either cures or at least 5 years of working bone marrow.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Six o’clock last night they discharged me from the hospital. The two pints of blood that they gave me stabilized me for the time being. They want me to schedule follow up appointments with my oncologist & hematologist.

I didn’t see Oreo when I got home but he was waiting for me this morning. He was glad to see me.

Great to hear. Hope you don't have to go back.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Six o’clock last night they discharged me from the hospital. The two pints of blood that they gave me stabilized me for the time being. They want me to schedule follow up appointments with my oncologist & hematologist.

I didn’t see Oreo when I got home but he was waiting for me this morning. He was glad to see me.

Great news.  Keep resting a bit and enjoy being home. 

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Good to hear you're back home, and Oreo is there to take care of you :D 

But, yeah, get those appointments scheduled so you can tackle it ASAP.  As ever, you're one of the cornerstones of the Cafe, and we want & need you here keeping us smiling and laughing.  Hoping for the best!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Maybe it would interfere with the heart monitor I was already wearing?

It seems complicated, and I often feel like the right hand isn't aware of what the left hand (and feet) are doing with the current healthcare systems, but hopefully whatever does get tested/tracked/reported from the newer device gets you back to riding safely.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Will that be 30 days less time served?

I guess. It would be nice to get an ankle bracelet for a change. I’m tired of wearing life vests and heart monitors on my chest all the time. I went to the bathroom one time and I had to unplug my IV pump from the wall, wind up the cord, then drag that confounded thing into the bathroom with me. By then I really had to go (hospital food), I quickly sat down and my heart monitor fell on the bathroom floor and the batteries popped out. One arm is connected to the IV pump and the other arm is connected to the heart monitor. When I was done I gathered up the batteries and put them back into the monitor and popped the battery cover back on. Amazingly it started working again.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Maybe it would interfere with the heart monitor I was already wearing?

True

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It seems like it. I’m not real comfortable driving yet, they should come to me.

Yes, this. Simply tell them you cannot drive.