Would you spend 200 dollars on a pillow?

Square Wheels

I did about 5 years ago, money well spent.

I think it was on sale from 279 or so.

I have a head the size and weight of a bowling ball.  I would go through a regular pillow every couple of months.  Those would cost maybe 15 to 25.  If I averaged 100 a year (that's low) on pillows, that would have been 500 over the past 5 years.

I bought a tempur pedic pillow 5 years ago, it's still like new.

• Heart 3
  • Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a head the size and weight of a bowling ball.  I would go through a regular pillow every couple of months.  Those would cost maybe 15 to 25.  If I averaged 100 a year (that's low) on pillows, that would have been 500 over the past 5 years.

I won't spend that much, but I don't have problems sleeping comfortably with cheap foam pillows.  If I did, I'd surely spend it.

29 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

A few yeas ago we got these.  https://coophomegoods.com/collections/pillows  2 of each kind.     We still like and use them.

I looked at those Coop pillows and almost pulled the trigger. I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and found some that are "OK". I think those were $40 or so. I would like a bit firmer. I have stuffed 2 pillows in a pillow case & that gets a firm feel

I bought a couple at Costco that were pretty good. But the filling had an industrial smell. I left them outside for a couple days to off gas and it didn't help much. So I returned them.

How is the inflation on the Coop pillows? Does it feel odd? Does it hold a charge?

30 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

How is the inflation on the Coop pillows? Does it feel odd? Does it hold a charge?

The pillows don't inflate.  They came with extra form filler material.   You can add more foam filler to make the pillow more firm, or remove filler to make the pillow softer.   We left them alone, and haven't change the amount of filler material.

They hold their shape, and are comfortable. 

The only thing I didn't like for a while...  there was a slight chemical smell from the filler foam.  That's gone now, no smell.   (all the chemicals leached into our home?)   We got 2 sets of pillows, "The Original" and "The Eden".   One set had the smell and the other didn't.   They had different filler foam materials.   I can't remember which type of pillow had the issue.   

That said... They are still comfortable.  

If it made a difference to my sleep, absolutely.  Currently, I tend to fall asleep before my head hits the pillow (as my grandmother used to say), but a good night's sleep is so important.  If a pillow makes a difference, it's worth every cent.

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a tempurpedic and the pillow.  Best investment ever.  If I had to make one investment over and over again, it'd be this.  We spend a third of our lives here, and quality rest and comfort should be the highest priority.  Yes, before a home or a car.

23 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It sounds like you are saving a lot of money and you are more comfortable, so this is nothing but win!

On 5/15/2021 at 6:27 AM, Square Wheels said:

Would you spend 200 dollars on a pillow?

Would I? Absolutely. Have I? Nope.  I prefer what my wife calls a "pancake pillow" - ie very little padding (feathers or fake ones) that mean it is very thin and can be squished into whatever form I want.  But if a $200 pillow does the job other pillows can't, then I'd want one for sure.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, Wilbur said:

My Pillow is way better than your pillow. ;)

That's a great pillow for folks who drool a lot.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:24 AM, Square Wheels said:

Wow, you're all missing the point.

I thought it was a crazy purchase at the time, but if I had kept my old patter of buying a 20 dollar pillow every couple of months, I would have been way behind where I am now.

What exactly was happening to the old pillows?  Especially any that were not natural materials? I'd think a foam pillow would hold up to a lifetime of abuse.

But clearly buying a better built item over a seemingly "disposable" product will very often save you money over time.  Think paper plates versus a ceramic plate.  A paper plate is a penny or two every time forever.  A ceramic plate would get cheaper and cheaper per use the more you use it.   Just like buying a nice bike you ride a lot versus a cheap bike you don't ride much at all. Eventually, the more expensive item can become less per use.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, Square Wheels said:

Wow, you're all missing the point.

I thought it was a crazy purchase at the time, but if I had kept my old patter of buying a 20 dollar pillow every couple of months, I would have been way behind where I am now.

Yet, you won't buy a high quality pair of shoes that on a per/ wear basis, is better value than cheap shoes.  :scratchhead: