Sometimes it pays to recycle.

groupw

I had containers of used oil. Last summer the auto parts stores were not taking it because of the lockdown. I took  it in this morning. As I’m dumping it one of the guys asks if I use 0w20 oil by chance. I was curious how he could tell from used oil. He explained they had 2-5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 with nicked corners that were leaking a bit. They couldn’t sell it and no one at the store used that weight. Said they were mine if I wanted them. Sure! They put them in a box so they would be stable upside down. At least $50 worth of oil. And a free change for both the CX5 and Miata. I know where I will go to buy the filters!

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

38 minutes ago, groupw said:

I had containers of used oil. Last summer the auto parts stores were not taking it because of the lockdown. I took  it in this morning. As I’m dumping it one of the guys asks if I use 0w20 oil by chance. I was curious how he could tell from used oil. He explained they had 2-5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 with nicked corners that were leaking a bit. They couldn’t sell it and no one at the store used that weight. Said they were mine if I wanted them. Sure! They put them in a box so they would be stable upside down. At least $50 worth of oil. And a free change for both the CX5 and Miata. I know where I will go to buy the filters!

Wow!  My Honda Fit uses synthetic 0-20W oil and my change-the-oil gauge now less than 15% (of max. life left), which means change it soon before it drops to 5%.

If I get the oil at Precision Tune when I have my oil changed, it costs me an outrageous $65 for 5 qts.  I can buy 5 qt. of top-grade Mobil at Walmart for around $25 and take it in with me, so I do, and its another $29 to change the oil, inspect the fluids and brakes, and rotate the tires.

Fortunately, I only have to change the oil about every 10,000 miles, and that's been over a year for me lately!