Saturday at the LBS

Parsnip Totin Jack

Typical beautiful sunny day. Busy with periods of calm. People looking for entry level hybrids are disappointed when they learn that we won't get much until 2022. We had some Giant Escapes, a fitness hybrid like the Trek FX series. Only had three built, SML, that we were trying not to sell, only use for test rides and sell them one in a box that would be built in the next week. That worked pretty well as we had bikes people could hold and test with a promise of one in the next week. We received about 30 bikes on Friday.

During one of the slow periods, a guy with a new e-bike was in service talking with the lead tech. The guy was saying something about a warranty issue with Specialized but was being purposefully vague about the issue. The tech said that we need to check the bike over and communicate the warranty issue with Specialized. The guy came up with different excuses why he couldn't do that and left without having them look over the bike. Later on we learned what he wasn't telling us. He bought the e-bike about a month ago and tried to get insurance on it thorough his homeowners policy. His insurance company said that because it was an e-bike designed to go faster than 15 mph, they won't insure it. Car insurance said the same thing. He believes that because we didn't tell him that he can't get insurance on his e-bike we are at fault and he wants his money back. I think Specialized told him to pound sand. I hope the owners of the LBS tell him the same.

• Heart 4

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Why is he trying to insure his bike?

I don't think mine is covered, I never looked.

I don't know. My guess is that because he spent a crap ton of money and he's skeered that if he wrecks and the bike is totaled (it happens), he's out of money and a bike.

5 hours ago, KrAzY said:

You can insure bikes? I figured it would just be part of my deductible and I was F’ed since my bikes always cost less then that. 

Sure can. Your homeowners policy is the best place but it requires a special rider specifically for the asset. Most commonly used for jewelry and collectibles (e.g. Babe Ruth signed baseball). I looked into this when I bought my Seven. I paid $5,000 but retail was close to $8,000 in replacement value. Rider required photos and receipts; eff that, ain't nobody got time for that red tape.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I don't know. My guess is that because he spent a crap ton of money and he's skeered that if he wrecks and the bike is totaled (it happens), he's out of money and a bike.

Sure can. Your homeowners policy is the best place but it requires a special rider specifically for the asset. Most commonly used for jewelry and collectibles (e.g. Babe Ruth signed baseball). I looked into this when I bought my Seven. I paid $5,000 but retail was close to $8,000 in replacement value. Rider required photos and receipts; eff that, ain't nobody got time for that red tape.

That’s good to know.. I mean.. my guns are insured, but never thought about the bike.. 

8 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

People looking for entry level hybrids are disappointed when they learn that we won't get much until 2022.

I'm very grateful that @denniS and others mentioned back in January about the scarcity of bikes.  Thanks much.

I ordered my entry-level, large-frame, Trek Verve 3 Disc Lowstep in January and got it April 6th.  I haven't done much with it yet, but will once I'm back in my house and am glad it's in my possession now.

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

@MickinMD I wouldn’t refer to the Verve 3 as entry level. That is the Verve 1. The Verve 3, that you bought, is one of the best value hybrids for the money. At the LBS I work at, we sell a lot of those when we can get them. 

The Mick, He ain't no fool...

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

he spent a crap ton of money and he's skeered that if he wrecks and the bike is totaled (it happens), he's out of money and a bike.

I always figured if I wreck my bike I'll be out of the money.    My bike is 17 years old.   I'm sure the insurance (home owners) would find a way not to pay.   

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I always figured if I wreck my bike I'll be out of the money.    My bike is 17 years old.   I'm sure the insurance (home owners) would find a way not to pay.   

I had an old Specialized hybrid that I got when my wife got her Trek hybrid.  I was moved on to the MTB and road bikes, but it still sat in the garage.  My wife offered it to her friend to use for a while (I was fine with it), but one day, the friend was all puppy eyed and mentioned that she had been rear ended with my bike on her rear rack.  I don't think there was any obvious catastrophic damage, but her CAR insurance "totaled" it, I got to keep the parts, and I eventually gave the fork away to a person who needed one.  I think I have used the old rim brakes as spare parts too.  I tossed the frame which was bent up around the rear chain stays, but I think that would have been fixable as it was a steel bike but maybe not as it was a low priced model (Crossroads).  That bike was a plush ride, and nice for commutes and noodling with my wife around town. I