Good news seems to be of little use to the news media

Road Runner

Before Covid, all the local news here was about house fires, fatal traffic accidents and people being assholes.  Then the bad Covid reports took over and dominated the local news for many months.

Now, daily cases are dropping rapidly and the local media is back to covering house fires, traffic accidents and people being assholes.  I think we need to suffer through with the good news as well as the bad.

VA-state-trends.thumb.jpg.57a2b1a8ff23863dc75a2a23da3215c6.jpg

Would it hurt if the media gave the general public a big high-five?  Most people have done the right things and pulled together to fight the pandemic.  The medical people have done many great and wonderful things.  The drug companies have excelled.  Even some of the politicians have acted okay.  Shouldn't there be at least a modicum of joy in Mudville?   

I guess good news doesn't sell insurance and toilet paper.  :(

Man don’t get me started on network news... Just remember, crime, sex & violence draws you in and makes the advertisers happy.  Then ad political spin and what certain networks make the lead or completely bury and it just gets worse.

I watch a bit of the local morning news but get my news from various online media sources so I can get numerous perspectives of the story. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Man don’t get me started on network news... Just remember, crime, sex & violence draws you in and makes the advertisers happy.  Then ad political spin and what certain networks make the lead or completely bury and it just gets worse.

I watch a bit of the local morning news but get my news from various online media sources so I can get numerous perspectives of the story. 

Yeah, ditto on this 

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I watch a bit of the local morning news but get my news from various online media sources so I can get numerous perspectives of the story

Associated Press is rated top and center on the media bias chart, for most neutral  and most factual content. 

• Heart 1

I listen to NPR. They seem to have a decent balance. They try to get a little feel good news in without being just fluff. They have been reporting the decreases in cases here while still sharing concern of India’s plight. 
I like that they will take the time to go into details on a topic and not just pursue shock value. 

• Awesome 1

What bothers me is that today's American news media intentionally withholds information that would make stories less controversial and less stressful.

It seems like the motto is, "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Often, I'll look for the same story on BBC online, etc. to get the full story.

I could list a few examples from today alone on ABC New online, but I don't want to cross over the line with political and religious stuff.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, groupw said:

I like that they will take the time to go into details on a topic and not just pursue shock value.

1) It’s not TV.

2) Listener supported, not beholden to corporate advertisers.

It’s my daily commute listen. I feel they try to present multiple sides of complex issues. I’ve heard from the Israeli government, humanitarian aide workers and Palestinians regarding the Gaza Strip fighting. 

PBS is my rare TV news source, for the same reasons I like NPR. Their opposing viewpoint presentations usually have me learn something, even if I disagree with one conclusion.

My kids have started stating the “Fake News” mantra and “all politicians lie” lines. It’s a very dangerous, disengaged approach that I am trying my best to discourage. It’s hard, though.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

1) It’s not TV.

2) Listener supported, not beholden to corporate advertisers.

It’s my daily commute listen. I feel they try to present multiple sides of complex issues. I’ve heard from the Israeli government, humanitarian aide workers and Palestinians regarding the Gaza Strip fighting. 

PBS is my rare TV news source, for the same reasons I like NPR. Their opposing viewpoint presentations usually have me learn something, even if I disagree with one conclusion.

My kids have started stating the “Fake News” mantra and “all politicians lie” lines. It’s a very dangerous, disengaged approach that I am trying my best to discourage. It’s hard, though.

Sadly, PBS, NPR, and other "mainstream", "moderate", "fair", etc. news sources are often as distrusted by some folks as CBS, NBC, or CNN (or ...).  Likewise, while the folks not sucked into the constant outrages of fringe media wonder and worry about what's next for America and the world as baseless claims, fact-free content, and outright lies percolate up into a large percentage of folks' minds, the evil behind it all continues to poison the well we all drink from :( 

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, PBS, NPR, and other "mainstream", "moderate", "fair", etc. news sources are often as distrusted by some folks as CBS, NBC, or CNN (or ...).  Likewise, while the folks not sucked into the constant outrages of fringe media wonder and worry about what's next for America and the world as baseless claims, fact-free content, and outright lies percolate up into a large percentage of folks' minds, the evil behind it all continues to poison the well we all drink from :( 

Well that right there sound like a rather one side view of the subject.  We went from 'good news' content levels to opinionated perceptions of "fair" and "distrusted" and "baseless" and "outright lies" and "evil behind it all".

As the worm thread turns

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Well that right there sound like a rather one side view of the subject.  We went from 'good news' content levels to opinionated perceptions of "fair" and "distrusted" and "baseless" and "outright lies" and "evil behind it all".

As the worm thread turns

Maybe read the thread in order and you can see how it twists and turns to highlight that PBS and NPR are able to carry that sort of "good news" and "bad news" because their business model does not require creating outrage nor balkanization.  

If you want "good news" stories regularly, NPR, PBS, and the CBS Sunday Morning show are about your main options. If you want "not good news" stick to other options :) but don't pretend you're getting fair, trusted, or fact based information.