@Golden on Sunday

Airehead

Oh, I now know how the thumb came off. Investigating the damage to the bike, I found the piece of meat missing when they stitched me back together. It was in the brifter. I was in the drops and damage points to me probably hitting a glancing blow on the fork and full speed onto the shifter. 

The shifter musta turned into a dull cleaver at that force and lopped off the thumb.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Oh, I now know how the thumb came off. Investigating the damage to the bike, I found the piece of meat missing when they stitched me back together. It was in the brifter. I was in the drops and damage points to me probably hitting a glancing blow on the fork and full speed onto the shifter. 

The shifter musta turned into a dull cleaver at that force and lopped off the thumb.

Before Theodore Kadiddlehopper can say it, “don’t do that again”. Your daughter is lovely and a joy I’m sure. Good luck and a fast recovery. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

but I was serious.  Your injury looks significant, leaches may help keep the thumb.

Probably. I asked the hand surgeon nurse to ask. hey said they do use leeches where applicable. But typically wait until the trauma has been minimized and a better look at the overall damage. 

Here's the thumb today, much better but still pretty fucked up:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.eca6db3e51ec11306c66fe46e294475e.png

image.png.7f9134a1ae8bdc642f4711b87e11e18e.png

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

So when I was around kindergarten age, mom had a HUGE Olds 88 or 98.  Something like this.

RealRides of WNY - 1970 Olds Ninety-Eight

Any who, hot Texas summer day and we are going to go to 7-11 to get Slurpees (Frozen coke to @AirwickWithCheese).  Car is in garage and doors are open to cool off.  I am drawn to the grease in the door hinges  by the back door, and I am playin with the hinge.  Mom shuts her door and someone gets in back seat and shuts that door and my left pointer finger is trapped.  I am screaming and bleeding, They wrap up my hand, take me to the doc and he gets the bleeding stopped and asks about my finger tip.  Neighbor and brother go home and find it on garage floor.  Doc sews it back on.

Mom says my finger swolled up, turned black, smelled horrible, but the finger tip took.  I still have the finger, but lost some feeling to it and it is shorter than my right pointer.

Hopefully yours heals the same.  So based on my lmiited experience, turning black and swelling and stinking is good, or at least not too bad.

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

So when I was around kindergarten age, mom had a HUGE Olds 88 or 98.  Something like this.

RealRides of WNY - 1970 Olds Ninety-Eight

Any who, hot Texas summer day and we are going to go to 7-11 to get Slurpees (Frozen coke to @AirwickWithCheese).  Car is in garage and doors are open to cool off.  I am drawn to the grease in the door hinges  by the back door, and I am playin with the hinge.  Mom shuts her door and someone gets in back seat and shuts that door and my left pointer finger is trapped.  I am screaming and bleeding, They wrap up my hand, take me to the doc and he gets the bleeding stopped and asks about my finger tip.  Neighbor and brother go home and find it on garage floor.  Doc sews it back on.

Mom says my finger swolled up, turned black, smelled horrible, but the finger tip took.  I still have the finger, but lost some feeling to it and it is shorter than my right pointer.

Hopefully yours heals the same.  So based on my lmiited experience, turning black and swelling and stinking is good, or at least not too bad.

You deserved much more love for this post. You poured your heart out, offered encouragement to one of our beloved injured forumites, and in doing so admitted you were one step away from being a carny with no hope of ever entrapping Martha.  

• Heart 1