I got flashed today

jsharr

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

We received 5" of rain in a very short period of time.  Some minor flooding at the house as the rain overpowered my 60 gallon per minute pump.

Creeks out of banks.  Highway underpasses shut down.  Local streets flooded.

May be an image of body of water, tree, road and grass

Wow!  Why didn't you share and alert us while it was happening? 

Is Martha ok?  

I feel your pain.  We have had that much rain here in SE Va many times.  But as you mentioned, the kicker is over how much time.  5 inches over 8-10 hours is usually tolerable, but the same amount in 2-3 hours can be devastating.

Another thing that makes it worse for some than others is that the rainfall amounts can vary significantly in various parts of the city.  Some may get 3 or 4 inches while another area might get 7 or 8.  Heavy rain events suck!  And they seem to be getting worse with GW.  Hope everyone dries out without too much damage.  

Over the past ten years or so, our total yearly rainfall has exceeded the average by quite a bit.  We used to have regular droughts here in the summer where people were forbidden to wash their cars or water their lawns.  Those events are all in the distant past now.

Global warming is going to kick our asses, one way or the other.  

14 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There have been times I've been grateful I'm living on top of a small plateau!

The river near my house would have to rise about 100ft before I would have to worry. 

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

Some minor flooding at the house as the rain overpowered my 60 gallon per minute pump.

Do you have a basement?  Is that a thing in TX?

Hope nothing was ruined of value.  Water damage is a PITA, but better than fire or sewer damage, I guess.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

It should be noted I have never experienced more than 2 inches of rain in a day here in the PNW. 5 inches is nuts.

Well, keep an eye on your insurance premium!  It looks like Texas is gonna help redistribute some wealth at the larger insurers this year :)

• Heart 1