Why has Cheese never shown appreciation for Gordon Lightfoot?

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

And there we go - Cheese nailed it. :)

Thank you Sir. Now to Wilbur's specific question because at least for me it's a great question and actually triggers horrible memories.

( and I'm being serious ) 

Gordon Lightfoot was very talented. Same error and similar sound to Harry Nilsson. That's the good. 

Now listen to Wilbur's first song. Close your eyes.....  Who does it sound like?  

For me, it's Pete Seeger.   :(

So many bad memories here. No idea how or why but somehow, someway, the man "played" at my elementary school. This makes no sense on so many levels and no one will give me an explanation. 

Tiny small private school and somehow Pete Seeger was allowed to play in our auditorium during the chapel hour during what was my most formative year. Never made sense. 

A lot of the same faculty is still there and no one to this day will give me an answer. They pretend it didn't happen but I know better. Seeger, in person in a small auditorium, was very entertaining to a young mind. 

I still get the chills thinking about that morning with that creepy banjo. Very talented but sick in the head. Now 45 years later everyone wants to pretend it never happened but it's very real for me. 

So it's very unfair to Mr. Lightfoot because he was very talented but his voice reminds me of Pete Seeger. Pete Seeger leads to Arlo Guthrie, which leads to Judy Collins, etc......  

Very bad memories and no one willing to admit the truth about what happened that day.   :(

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

34 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Get the urge to listen to several of his songs that I have in my mp3 files now and then.

image.png.5658cee6d1ae7447d3979a7af81d88b8.png

My favorite:

This was a sad performance in seeing the effect of aneurism and coma.  He lost a lot of fluidity in his voice.  That may also have been emphysema but it had not been diagnosed back then. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

No play, just appreciation.  :) 

I'll never forget my ex-Czech wife and her sister coming over and we were listening to Gordon in the car and my wife called it 'horrible' music.  What can I say? She didn't pass the Gordon Lightfoot test -- I knew it was going to end bad.

• Sad 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, Kirby said:

I always thought this was such a happy song

Gosh, I barely listen any of Lightfoot's songs.  I didn't know this song existed...seems to show the spirit of stuff way back 40 years ago and more....Alberta bound.  Enough people hesitating about Alberta now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, Wilbur said:

I flew him to a dozen or so concerts over the years and found him to be a kind and considerate man who worked hard at being humble.  He had his demons and sometimes they got the better of him.  As a song writer, he wrote some surprisingly simple sounding yet complex guitar pieces and some really soulful lyrics.  As a writer, I rate him in the top 100.  

His prime years were in my youth so I didn't appreciate his talent as I should have early on.  Now, no matter where I am in the world, if I crave a little Canadiana, I can listen to Gordon or pick up a guitar and sing along.   I find his lyrics and songs very comforting. 

I think Gordy didn't live far in a short time, from where dearie lived in Yorkville before his divorce..  dearie also met Anne Murray at a party ...then shortly he realized who she was. She started to become a star.

• Heart 1