Hogan's Heroes

AirwickWithCheese
Go to solution Solved by Road Runner,

I used to have a coworker whose father in law had served in WWII.  Apparently, he'd bitterly exclaim "it wasn't like that at all" whenever reruns of the show came on.  He wasn't outraged, just annoyed.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

So little time had passed between the war and show I'm surprised the greatest generation allowed it to air.   :scratchhead:

I read where it was a very popular TV show in Germany.  My father enjoyed it.

What bugged Dad, who saw a LOT more combat action than most as a member of Darby's Rangers, was when someone would get shot in the torso in a TV Western and just fall over and die.  Dad would say something like, "In real life, there'd be blood spattered all over and he'd be conscious and crying for his mother."

• Sad 1

• Solution

Hogan's Heroes was a terrible show.  I think it was an attempt to make a comedic TV version of Stalag 17.  So unbelievable in every way.  And even if you could swallow your intellect and temporarily accept the ridiculous premise, the "humor" still isn't humorous.   Why it is still on in syndication (Me-TV), is a source of never-ending amazement to me.     

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Hogan's Heroes was a terrible show.  I think it was an attempt to make a comedic TV version of Stalag 17.  So unbelievable in every way.  And even if you could swallow your intellect and temporarily accept the ridiculous premise, the "humor" still isn't humorous.   Why it is still on in syndication (Me-TV), is a source of never-ending amazement to me.     

I don't like Bob Crane.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

He was a bum. Spent his last decade performing in minstrel shows around Phoenix. @UglyBob talked about meeting him once where he tried to hit on WOUB I believe? 

Now you're just starting nasty rumors........ and about the dead............. disgusting.

You need to apologize.

• Whatever 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

He was a bum. Spent his last decade performing in minstrel shows around Phoenix. @UglyBob talked about meeting him once where he tried to hit on WOUB I believe? 

Yeah, they never really figured out who killed him in his little video sex-den...and they never will. :ph34r:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Probably just trollops who slept with Crane.  Have weird sex with Crane = one appearance on Hogan's Heroes.  

This was actually true. 

He did end up marrying Patricia Olsen the very attractive secretary to Colonel Klink

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

I liked this show when i was a kid. It's unwatchable now. Some shows age well and some do not. 

However, to be fair, I think someone who decries "HH" because it's an unrealistic portrayal of war, has missed the point. 

Sort of like MASH was an unrealistic portrayal of war eh?

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I never received my autographed copy.   :(

Huh?  The rest of us all received our complementary autographed copies.

Now you can spend time not reading his mystery while not enjoying grape pie.  UB would like you to sick your barrister on him.  He'll be eating grape pie and enjoying John Grisham novels for months.

• Sad 1

Robert Clary, who played the character Le Beau in the television series, spent several years of WWII in German Concentration Camps where 12 of his immediate family members died. His life story is a fascinating read. 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/01/30/actor-author-survivor-the-resilience-of-robert-clary/

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

Robert Clary, who played the character Le Beau in the television series, spent several years of WWII in German Concentration Camps where several of his 14 siblings died. His life story is a fascinating read. 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/01/30/actor-author-survivor-the-resilience-of-robert-clary/

He was also on Days of Our Lives.  

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It is like you people think that documentary wasn't real!!

What's next?  F-Troop didn't take part in the Battle of Antietam? 

I had to explain to a coworker who was going to Banff  (before the borders were closed) why I kept saying Banff f f f f

• Haha 1