Feeding crows

Parsnip Totin Jack

Today is Monday. Trash pickup here is on Tuesday. Our across-the-street neighbors got a jump on putting the overflowing trash bin out last night. Local crows are taking advantage of the easy access food source. I don’t begrudge the crows as they gotta eat, but they don’t clean up the mess they make and neither will the neighbors. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Today is Monday. Trash pickup here is on Tuesday. Our across-the-street neighbors got a jump on putting the overflowing trash bin out last night. Local crows are taking advantage of the easy access food source. I don’t begrudge the crows as they gotta eat, but they don’t clean up the mess they make and neither will the neighbors. 

I hate the neighbors who are so clueless and/or self-absorbed that they place overflow out in trash bags overnight or put their recycling out during high winds without securing the bin in some way :angry:  Total effers.

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

they are just throwing food out?

Crows are smart and will pick through & scatter trash looking for the tasty bits.  We see it here too where they pull fast food bags out of the trash, rip it open & scatter the bags, napkins & shit everywhere looking for that leftover French fry.

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Crows are smart and will pick through & scatter trash looking for the tasty bits.  We see it here too where they pull fast food bags out of the trash, rip it open & scatter the bags, napkins & shit everywhere looking for that leftover French fry.

Ed Zachary 

I had to throw some stuff away at work this morning and found a perfect example.  

This is an office complex dumpster so most of the trash is office waste.  We are remodeling suites so the workers have been bringing/getting lunch & tossing their food trash in the bins.  And the crows are finding the food containers & pulling them out.

0FFF0AFE-0D85-4E6C-BF3B-EEE5B30B2E46.thumb.jpeg.7b0bdb023d24625e59eb31a518c3dcf7.jpeg

When were in Arches National Park, we got there before sunrise. We had stopped at Starbucks and I had my coffee and some banana nut bread. I was getting my camera gear ready and a crow for very close to me. I tossed a walnut bit his way. He liked it so I gave him another. He kept hanging around so I gave him more bits until it was gone. He followed me everywhere as I walked through the park. He would always land a safe distance away and gave me space if there were other people. But then he would follow me along the trails to the next photo spot. Next time I’m going to take a bage of crushed walnuts. 

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, groupw said:

When were in Arches National Park, we got there before sunrise. We had stopped at Starbucks and I had my coffee and some banana nut bread. I was getting my camera gear ready and a crow for very close to me. I tossed a walnut bit his way. He liked it so I gave him another. He kept hanging around so I gave him more bits until it was gone. He followed me everywhere as I walked through the park. He would always land a safe distance away and gave me space if there were other people. But then he would follow me along the trails to the next photo spot. Next time I’m going to take a bage of crushed walnuts. 

Crows are some of the smartest animals.  I saw a show once on the intelligence of crows where a crow had to use a tool to get a treat.  OK no biggie.  The crow then had to figure out a puzzle where when given a tool, it wouldn’t work to get the treat but it would work to get a second tool that would get the treat.

It tried to use the first tool at first, then used the first tool to obtain a second tool & got the treat out.   IIRC they said crows were the only animals outside of a few primates & humans that could make that connection. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

We're allegedly required to close the permanently-attached-lids on the bins, but it's not enforced.