Ford, GM, and Dodge

Razors Edge

...generally dominate the pick-up truck market where I live in VA.  It is insane, though, how popular Toyota trucks are out here in CA.  Sure, plenty of Fords, GM, and Dodge trucks, but Toyota - usually Tundra and Tacoma - are all over the place.  It's sort of eerie.

52 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Infographic: America's best-Selling Pickup Trucks | Statista

I think there is truth to Tom’s observation.  CA, especially SoCal has never been a buy American region in regards to cars.   Ford may be the National best seller but Toyota trucks are the most common out here  from my perspective too.  As are foreign  SUV’s & cars.   

The one American car we see out here in spades is Tesla. They are abundant out here. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I think there is truth to Tom’s observation.  CA, especially SoCal has never been a buy American region in regards to cars.   Ford may be the National best seller but Toyota trucks are the most common out here  from my perspective too.  As are foreign  SUV’s & cars.   

The one American car we see out here in spades is Tesla. They are abundant out here. 

Teslas of all kinds are all over out here.  They really are a "no brainer" sort of thing if you drive a lot of daily commuting miles in CA.  Hybrids or some of the lesser EV also make sense.  From an "outdoors" perspective, pick ups always make sense, and maybe from a utility and reliability standpoint, Toyota's slightly smaller trucks makes sense.  Still, tons of the Big Three, but Toyota is way over-represented versus their total sales.

An interesting slice and dice of sales numbers is found here.  If you naturally break out F150 from 250, 350, 450 (different trucks usually), and then look state by state, Ford still dominates, but not in the same way it does in the traditional "all US" way. 

A truck is #1 in 49 States out of 51, the same amount as in 2018 vs. 47 in 2017, 45 in 2016, 43 in 2015 and 39 in 2014. Among these trucks, a record 36 wins go to pickups vs. 32 in 2018 and 14 to crossovers vs. 16 in 2018 (there’s two equal #1 pickups). In 2019 like in 2018, only two cars win a State: the Honda Civic in California and the Toyota Corolla in Florida, vs. 4 in 2017, 6 in 2016, 8 in 2015 and 12 in 2014… Assuming the USA national podium is Ford F-150, Ram 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado 1500, this is actually a pretty rare occurrence in the States ranking with only 7 States out of 51 reproducing this order: Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, North Dakota and South Dakota.

Like in 2018, there are no States with no truck in the Top 5. Three States only have pickups in their Top 5 (Louisiana, Mexico and Wyoming where pickups monopolise the Top 8) vs. 2 in 2018, 5 States have no pickup in their Top 5 (California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Massachusetts and New Jersey) vs. 7 in 2018 and and 2 States have no pickup in its Top 10 (Connecticut and District of Columbia). One State only has SUVs in its Top 5: Connecticut where even the Top 7 is all-SUV. Michigan and Arizona only have U.S. models in their Top 5, extending to Top 10 in Michigan and only California has no U.S. model in its Top 5.