Fasting

maddmaxx

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I had a fasting blood test scheduled for this morning.  The nurse was cool, first stick, no pain and cute.  I was very fuzzy headed without my morning coffee and no food since 9pm last night. So............................

Off to Herman's Diner for breakfast.  This is an old school diner, about 4 tables and a dozen seats at the counter.  It's always been a greasy spoon where all the road crews go for breakfast once they are on the clock.  The food however is as good as it gets if you eat this sort of food.

2 whole biscuits, sausage gravy (very good), 2 over easy eggs and home fries with coffee, lots of coffee.

20210519_094748.thumb.jpg.95c4f797b13cafff911ba016966c408c.jpg

I occasionally do that after my every-3-month fasting blood test for diabetes.  But with my dietary requirements limiting high-carb breakfasts, it's only about one a year.

My doctor has stressed that I need to take in at least 1,200 mg of calcium daily for my bone issues.  It is hard to take in and absorb 1,200 mg of calcium without eating.  

I can still do the blood test fasting, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to attempt a general fast lasting for several days.  

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is this common for folks?  Not eating or having coffee makes one fuzzy headed?

Food looks tasty, though!

Yeah I’m addicted to caffeine, I’ll get terrible headaches if I don’t have coffee by around 9 am and will be in a fog until I get some caffeine in me.

Fortunately I drink my coffee (at home) black so I can still have coffee before my fasting labs.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is this common for folks?  Not eating or having coffee makes one fuzzy headed?

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I can probably function fine without eating.  No coffee however and you need to stay outside of arms reach.

I believe RE is smarter than this.  This seems like an obvious baiting question. As if that moran doesn't understand or experienced it.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I believe RE is smarter than this.  This seems like an obvious baiting question. As if that moran doesn't understand or experienced it.

In the pre-COVID, go-into-the-office world, I rarely ate after 9pm, and then didn't start to drink my coffee and eat breakfast until around 9am.  12+hrs no food or drink (maybe water) seems relatively "normal" to me, but maybe I'm crazy????

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In the pre-COVID, go-into-the-office world, I rarely ate after 9pm, and then didn't start to drink my coffee and eat breakfast until around 9am.  12+hrs no food or drink (maybe water) seems relatively "normal" to me, but maybe I'm crazy????

After reading the material folks post in SquareWheels for the last 7 years, I'm certain we're all crazy.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I generally fast 2 or 3 days a week.  Dinner at 7pm, nothing for breakfast or lunch.  Dinner again at 7pm.  All I have in that time is my morning coffee.  I did this on Monday and plan on doing it again Friday.  

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I generally fast 2 or 3 days a week.  Dinner at 7pm, nothing for breakfast or lunch.  Dinner again at 7pm.  All I have in that time is my morning coffee.  I did this on Monday and plan on doing it again Friday.  

That's just INSANE! :)  I would be cranky after 12 additional hours of not eating.  I assume coffee AND water is fine?  Black coffee only?

I can't see doing a formal fast, but the "natural" 12 hour shorter ones seem easy enough.

37 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I think this is correct. I did it for probably 32 hours yesterday and except for 2 or 3 hunger events, it really wasn't that big of deal. It's important to show your stomach who's boss.... and good experience to do it more often than not. Certainly once a month but once a week seems doable.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and reasonable? Is this your new plan?

As mentioned I just did it for 24+ hours and while slightly discomforting, it's no big deal. My stomach often likes to be a whiny lil b* (fat ahole?) and it's a simple matter of self-discipline. Plus there's a chance I can get really high and hallucinate. What's not to like?

41 minutes ago, Dottles said:

As mentioned I just did it for 24+ hours and while slightly discomforting, it's no big deal. My stomach often likes to be a whiny lil b* (fat ahole?) and it's a simple matter of self-discipline. Plus there's a chance I can get really high and hallucinate. What's not to like?

So is that a "yes, I plan to do this regularly" or a "no way! I did it once and that was enough!"???

:scratchhead:

12 hours ago, Dottles said:

The "rocket science" part of this makes me smile.  I truly hope it isn't most Americans, but perhaps it is :(

“Intermittent fasting contrasts with the normal eating pattern for most Americans, who eat throughout their waking hours,” Mattson says. “If someone is eating three meals a day, plus snacks, and they’re not exercising, then every time they eat, they’re running on those calories and not burning their fat stores.”

Even 50 years ago, it was easier to maintain a healthy weight. Johns Hopkins dietitian Christie Williams, M.S., R.D.N., explains: “There were no computers, and TV shows turned off at 11 p.m.; people stopped eating because they went to bed. Portions were much smaller. More people worked and played outside and, in general, got more exercise.”

Nowadays, TV, the internet and other entertainment are available 24/7. We stay awake for longer hours to catch our favorite shows, play games and chat online. We’re sitting and snacking all day — and most of the night.”