Is there a reason for Swiss cheese's continued existence?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

I can find none.  It doesn't taste great, it doesn't melt well, it is just blah.  There has literally been no time in my life that I would want Swiss cheese over any other cheese.

I would like to say 'discus', but would like to take the opportunity to present a preemptive 'WRONG' to anyone that disagrees.

• Sad 1

Swiss Cheese Pervert' terrorizes Mayfair

Police say a man with a "major sexual cheese fetish" is exposing himself to women.

This man has been accused of exposing himself and asking women to perform a lewd act involving Swiss cheese. This man has been accused of exposing himself and asking women to perform a lewd act involving Swiss cheese.
by BY VINNY VELLA, Daily News Staff Writer <a href="mailto:vellav@phillynews.com">vellav@phillynews.com</a>, 215-854-2513
Published 
Jan 11, 2014

GENTLEMEN prefer blondes. This guy prefers Swiss.

As in cheese - the kind normally found sandwiched between corned beef and rye on a Reuben. But this particular man is using his dairy products to satisfy a different craving.

The Mayfair Town Watch reported yesterday on its Facebook page that the "Swiss Cheese Pervert" has been terrorizing neighborhood women.

According to the group, the suspect, a heavyset white man estimated to be in his late 40s or early 50s, approaches women while driving a silver or black sedan with his genitals exposed. He then displays a piece of sliced Swiss cheese and offers to pay the women to put the cheese on his penis and perform sexual acts on him using it.

"I understand that people may think this is funny, but this is no laughing matter," said Milt Martelack, the town watch's senior adviser. "We've had a couple individuals reach out to us. We're taking this matter very seriously, and we're working vigorously with police to get this guy off the streets."

28 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

This may be true for Swiss cheese you find packaged at the store, but I have had some very tasty Swiss cheese that I have bought at specialty stores. It is good enough to eat by itself with maybe a cracker or two. I love the nutty taste that is often found with a fine aged cheese. There are differences in cheese, just as there are differences in teas.

Although not great for my diabetes I found some aged Gouda at the LGS so bought a small wedge for like $9.  I then got some dinner rolls & some deli ham.  

Every morning this week I have been putting some of the cheese & ham in the roll & steaming it like my mom did before microwaves were a thing.  Steamed moist roll, gooey cheese & ham, mmmmm.

Fortunately I ran out of rolls as I have noticed my numbers creeping up...

• Hugs 1

I was never crazy about Swiss cheese, but I get the urge for it to go with certain meats on sandwiches about 4x a decade and more often with Chicken Cordon Bleu.

But if they stop making it and I had to sub Provolone or Monterey Jack, it wouldn't bother me.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Swiss cheese disappoints if you focus on its individual qualities.

To truly appreciate Swiss cheese, you must take a hole-istic approach.

Oh, RG knows ALL ABOUT the a-hole approach!

FTR, I find swiss cheese a good complementary cheese to OTHER cheese.  I like some swiss on my grilled cheese sandwiches with one slice of swiss, and another "stronger" kind.

• Whatever 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

This may be true for Swiss cheese you find packaged at the store, but I have had some very tasty Swiss cheese that I have bought at specialty stores. It is good enough to eat by itself with maybe a cracker or two. I love the nutty taste that is often found with a fine aged cheese. There are differences in cheese, just as there are differences in teas.

To be fair, I have probably never had really good Swiss cheese.  I am not sure it exists, but I could be persuaded if presented with it face-to-face.

• Awesome 1