Is there a reason for Swiss cheese's continued existence?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

• 4 months later...

Swiss cheese isn't Swiss. While it does resemble Emmentaler cheese, it is made from processed pasturized milk ot low fat milk where true cheese from Switzerland (including Emmentaler) is made from raw milk. I personally prefer Gruyère and Raclette. 

1015522_350445968416085_1958810936_o.jpg

My Swiss SIL accompanied me to Publix deli for some subs. He refused to have Swiss cheese put on his sub. He loves cheese...and makes an awesome fondue for dinner...but American cheese called Swiss is an abomination.

This is his cousin making cheese with pure immediately after milking the cows. This was the beginning of the year production with the cows returning to the high altitude pastures last week and the cheese is flipped with a salt brine applied daily as it ages for a year. Now that is cheese - solid with no holes.

Cheese 2000px.jpg

Cheesecloth-2000px.jpg

Cutting Cheese 2000px.jpg

Pasture 2000px.jpg

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

but American cheese called Swiss is an abomination.

Did you ask him about the yellow "American" cheese? Or Velveeta? Or any number of the other cheeses in the deli counter?  I'm pretty sure most Europeans don't just struggle with our "Swiss" cheese, but likely most of our deli cheeses.

No holes in your Swiss cheese? Here's why

MAY 28, 2015 / 12:22 PM / AP

BERLIN - The mystery of Swiss cheese and its disappearing holes has been solved: The milk's too clean.

A Swiss agricultural institute discovered that tiny pieces of hay dust are responsible for the famous holes in cheeses like Emmentaler or Appenzeller. As milk matures into cheese these "microscopically small hay particles" help create the holes in the traditional Swiss cheese varieties.

The government-funded Agroscope institute said in a statement Thursday that the transition from age-old milking methods in barns to fully-automated, industrial milking systems had caused holes to decline during the last 15 years.

In a series of tests, scientists added different amounts of hay dust to the milk and discovered it allowed them to regulate the number of holes.allowed them to regulate the number of holes.