Mikoyan-Gurevich

Wilbur

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Watch: The 10 most unforgettable lines from Top Gun – Boston 25 News

When I was recovering from my concussion I was watching a bunch of YouTube.  One video was a guy who fact checked Top Gun.   One thing he mentioned was that 4G inverted dive basically canopy to canopy couldn’t happen as the tail of the aircraft would have collided with the other aircraft first. 

I get that it’s all good fun and makes a good story but I never considered that it couldn’t have happened. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

When I was recovering from my concussion I was watching a bunch of YouTube.  One video was a guy who fact checked Top Gun.   One thing he mentioned was that 4G inverted dive basically canopy to canopy couldn’t happen as the tail of the aircraft would have collided with the other aircraft first. 

I get that it’s all good fun and makes a good story but I never considered that it couldn’t have happened. 

Did he allow for the twin tails of the 14 being far enough apart for the single tail of the MiG(F-5E actually) to fit between them? :whistle:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Jase GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Did he allow for the twin tails of the 14 being far enough apart for the single tail of the MiG(F-5E actually) to fit between them? :whistle:

Yeah, I condensed for brevity but he did.  In the movie they referenced the distance between planes that Maverick indicated but I don’t recall now what it is.  Even if the twin tails of the F14 were on either side of the tail of the Mig, the Mig’s tail would have hit the F14.

The two planes just can’t fly inverted that closely, one or the other tail will hit the other plane.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Hey Wilbur what did you fly in the Canadian Air Force?

CT-114 as a jet trainer and CF-18 as a WP.  But- I already had an education and 3 years as a pilot so when people ask if I learned to fly in the Armed Forces, I say, no. :) 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

My guess was that you have flow MiGs before though eh?

Never have, Maxx.  This may be a first.  The only thing holding me back is the time commitment.  I have a friend with a T-33 I can fly with without the commitment, so we will see. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Good Googling, but there are more.  :) 

I picked on that one because of it's history.  It's rare to have single seater converted into a UTI trainer although I can understand why.  It seems that the two seaters had a longer history serving as training aircraft then they did as front line combat fighters.  The 17 replaced the 15 quickly but the UTI soldiered on for decades.  This one didn't meet the criteria of being in Canada for 20 years however.  I haven't even begun to figure out where all the California MiGs sales went.