Accuweather's "85° and nice" not so nice!

MickinMD

I picked up Jake at 2:30 pm to go for a walk, it felt hotter than expected - not being used to the 80's yet, so I decided to drive 25 min. to a park with a lot of shade on it's 2.5 mile, hilly and usually breezy loop-paved-trail.

Meanwhile my, brother who I texted I was going to walk his dog, is an asst. supervisor of a State Roads Warehouse and went outside to check on the progress of a road sign and thought, "Mickey and Jake are crazy."

The normally 53 min. walked with a 2 min. rest took 104 min. with three rests totaling 7 minutes due to cramped trapezius muscles. Thankfully there was a breeze at the high points and the humidity was low.

Jake was wagging his tail like crazy at first, loving to meet other being-walked dogs, but was dragging by about 35 min.  He looked at me and walked over to the side of the trail each time we approached a bench!  Jake was wiped out at the end.

20210519_164839.thumb.jpg.58eb36c5bcd45820f056881733d586fe.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The normally 53 min. walked with a 2 min. rest took 104 min. with three rests totaling 7 minutes due to cramped trapezius muscles. Thankfully there was a breeze at the high points and the humidity was low.

Your loop has some hills, too, so with a dog giving you a steady tug, higher temps, and some ups & downs, it is always a good idea to pace yourself.  Way better taking 104 min to do a loop than to sit at home and watch an extra 104 mins of TV.